Gravitational Field Related Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a satellite to orbit Earth at a specific altitude and the calculations necessary to determine the distance, acceleration, and speed for this orbit. The satellite must orbit at an altitude of approximately 3034716.6 m above Earth's surface to be in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg. The acceleration of the satellite can be found using Newton's second law and is equal to the gravitational field strength, while the speed can be calculated using the equation v =√(GM/r).
wilson_chem90
A satellite is designed to orbit Earth at an altitude above its surface that will place it in a gravitational field with a strength of 4.5 N/kg.

a) Calculate the distance above the surface of Earth at which the satellite must orbit.

b) Assusming the orbit is circular, calculate the acceleration of the satellite and its direction.

c) At what speed must the satellite travel in order to maintain this orbit.

(I already found the answer for a) i got approximately 3034716.6 m above Earth)

For c) I know I can use the equation v = {GmE/r} ( {} = square root)

but i am not sure how to find the acceleration for b). the only thing i can think of is using
ac = v^2/r.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is the centripetal acceleration.

but i would have to find the velocity first? in order to find the acceleration, right?

Yes, and you know already the expression for the velocity, speed more correctly.

alright thank you very much, much appreciated

This question can be done in a less roundabout way by writing out Newton's second law for the satellite:

F_net=ma
GMm/r2=ma
a=GM/r2

You'll realize that this is also the gravitational field strength, so acceleration = 4.5 N/kg = 4.5 m/s2. Remember that: gravitational field strength is equal to acceleration due to gravity.

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a massive object, such as a planet or star, exerts a force on other objects. This force is known as gravity and is responsible for the motion of objects in the field.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational field strength, which is expressed in units of force per unit mass, such as newtons per kilogram (N/kg). This value is determined by the mass of the object creating the field and the distance from the object.

3. What is the difference between a gravitational field and a gravitational force?

A gravitational field is the space around a massive object where it exerts a force on other objects. A gravitational force, on the other hand, is the actual force that is exerted on an object by the gravitational field. The strength of the gravitational field determines the strength of the gravitational force.

4. Is there a limit to the size of a gravitational field?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of a gravitational field. This limit is determined by the mass of the object creating the field. The larger the mass, the larger the gravitational field will be. However, as distance increases, the strength of the field decreases.

5. Can the strength of a gravitational field change?

Yes, the strength of a gravitational field can change. It is dependent on the mass of the object creating the field and the distance from that object. If the mass or distance changes, the strength of the gravitational field will also change. Additionally, the strength of a gravitational field can be affected by the presence of other objects with their own gravitational fields.