How do I factor a polynomial with a coefficient in front of the highest power?

In summary, the equation becomes (8x^3+4X^2-2x-1)=(2x)^3+(2x)^2-(2x)-1 when the highest power of the coefficient in the polynomial is not 1. To make -1/8, you can multiply -1/2 and 1/4 or -1/4 and 1/2.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

8x^3 + 4X^2 - 2x -1

Homework Equations

remainder theorem
factor theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet, not sure how to go about it when there is a coefficent in front of the highest power of X.

Physics news on Phys.org
so if 8x3 + 4x2 - 2x -1=0 and we divide by 8, the last term is -1/8. What product of fractions will give you -1/8?

-1/8 and 1 would give -1/8 do either of these satisfy the equation?

What are the other options to choose from?

is that the way we do it? Divide all by 8. I thought about that but thought it was wrong.

Just noticed you made them equal to zero. Why did you do that? The original question does not make them equal to zero.

I divided all by 8 and noticed neither -1/8 nor 1 satisfy the remainder theorem

Also, i can't seem to find a number that makes them zero when using the remainder theorem. I need some more help, sorry.

Last edited:
Matt1234 said:
is that the way we do it? Divide all by 8. I thought about that but thought it was wrong.

Just noticed you made them equal to zero. Why did you do that? The original question does not make them equal to zero.

I divided all by 8 and noticed neither -1/8 nor 1 satisfy the remainder theorem

Also, i can't seem to find a number that makes them zero when using the remainder theorem. I need some more help, sorry.

Well we don't need to divide by 8, but we are looking at solution of the form ax+b for when the coefficient of the highest degree in the polynomial is not 1.

to make -1/8...you can multiply -1/2 and 1/4 or -1/4 and 1/2. Do any of these make the equation zero?

f(1/2) works

So one factor is (x - 1/2)

I will divide to find the second part:
Second part = 8x^2 +8x +2

And i forgot how to factor that, lol. using quadratic formula cause i can't do it in my head right now.

Here is what i got:

(x- 1/2) (4x+2) (2x +1) I don't have an answer key is this correct?

Sorry for asking so much of this forum, i promise one day if i learn i will repay by helping others.

Matt1234 said:
Here is what i got:

Sorry for asking so much of this forum, i promise one day if i learn i will repay by helping others.

yes but that can be further simplified as 4x+2 =2(x+1), that 2 can be expanded into the x-1/2 to give integer coefficients.

Matt1234 said:
Here is what i got:

That's right. You could also write that as (2x-1)*(2x+1)^2. Factor a 2 out of the second factor and move it into the first. Looking forward to your helping help!

ley y=2x
8x^3 + 4X^2 - 2x -1
(2x)^3+(2x)^2-(2x)-1
y^3+y^2-y-1
factor by grouping
gcd(y^3,y^2)=y^2
gcd(-y,-1)=-1
(y^2)(y+1)+(-1)(y+1)
and so on

Thanks guys i got it now. :)

What is factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into its simplest form by finding the common factors among its terms. This allows us to solve equations and understand the behavior of the polynomial function.

Why is factoring a polynomial important?

Factoring a polynomial is important because it helps us solve equations and understand the behavior of polynomial functions. It also allows us to simplify complicated expressions and make them easier to work with.

What are the different methods of factoring a polynomial?

There are several methods of factoring a polynomial, including factoring by grouping, factoring using the difference of squares, factoring using the sum or difference of cubes, and factoring using the quadratic formula. The method used depends on the type of polynomial and its terms.

How do I know when a polynomial is fully factored?

A polynomial is fully factored when it cannot be broken down any further. This means that all common factors have been identified and there are no more terms that can be factored out. The resulting expression should be in its simplest form.

What is the difference between factoring and solving a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking it down into simpler terms, while solving a polynomial involves finding the values of the variable(s) that make the polynomial true. Factoring is a helpful step in solving a polynomial equation, but it is not the final step in finding the solution.