Molecular Biophysics Graduate Schools For Studying Learning and Memory

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student in the USA with four B.S. degrees in biomathematics, physics, computer science, and philosophy. They have a year of research experience in electrostatic molecular modeling and have published or plan to publish an article in a professional physics journal. Their interests lie in molecular biophysics, particularly in relation to neuroscience and drug interactions for learning and memory. They are open to attending a foreign English-speaking university and are willing to settle for a related field in molecular biophysics if necessary. They are seeking suggestions for graduate schools and programs that would best suit their interests and background.
BBUCommander
Question

Based on my background and interests, what graduate schools and programs would be best for me as a PhD-seeking biophysics student intending to ultimately study learning and memory?

Background

I am a undergraduate in the USA that is preparing to receive four B.S. degrees by Summer 2010: biomathematics, physics (w/ honors), computer science, and philosophy. I will have about a year of research experience in developing electrostatic molecular modeling software as well as the soliton model of axon conduction. It is my intention to have an article related to my work published in a professional physics journal before I complete Spring 2010. I am willing to attend a foreign English-speaking university if research there is sufficiently enticing.

Interests

My primary interest is molecular biophysics as applied to neuroscience. Particularly I would like to study natural physiological processes and drug interactions related to learning and memory. I am also highly interested in nanotechnology being applied to the same. To tackle these problems I have been focusing on computational modeling and theoretical biophysics, though I wish to use experimental methods when needed to further my understanding of the subject.

Many hours of work on my part have not yielded any particularly enthusing options. I am prepared to settle for doing PhD research in related fields of molecular biophysics that do not always have a neuroscience component, such as molecular modeling for drug development.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows of a molecular biophysics program which studies learning and memory?

Or even a program which could train one sufficiently to begin such research?

Even a good molecular biophysics program which emphasizes the physics part of the name would be useful to me.

As a scientist in the field of molecular biophysics, I would recommend considering the following graduate schools and programs for your PhD studies in learning and memory:

1. University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) - Graduate Program in Biophysics: This program offers a strong focus on molecular biophysics and has a collaborative partnership with the UCSF Memory and Aging Center, which could provide opportunities for research in learning and memory.

2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences: This interdisciplinary program combines neuroscience, cognitive science, and computational approaches to study learning and memory. They also have a strong focus on molecular and cellular mechanisms of brain function.

3. University of Michigan - Biophysics Graduate Program: This program offers a diverse range of research areas, including molecular biophysics and neuroscience. They also have a dedicated Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, which could provide opportunities for research in learning and memory.

4. Johns Hopkins University - Department of Biophysics: This program has a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research and offers a wide range of research areas, including molecular biophysics and neuroscience. They also have a dedicated Department of Neuroscience that could provide opportunities for research in learning and memory.

5. University of Oxford - Department of Pharmacology: This program offers a strong focus on drug development and molecular pharmacology. They also have a dedicated Centre for Integrative Neuroscience and Neurodynamics, which could provide opportunities for research in learning and memory.

Ultimately, the best graduate school and program for you will depend on your specific research interests and goals. I would recommend thoroughly researching each program and reaching out to faculty members whose research aligns with your interests to learn more about their work and potential opportunities for collaboration. Good luck with your search!

1. What is molecular biophysics and how does it relate to learning and memory?

Molecular biophysics is a field that combines the principles of physics and chemistry to study biological systems at the molecular level. It focuses on understanding the structure and function of molecules in living organisms, including the molecules involved in learning and memory processes.

2. What are the main research areas within molecular biophysics related to learning and memory?

Some of the main research areas within molecular biophysics related to learning and memory include protein structure and function, membrane biophysics, ion channels and neurotransmitter receptors, and neuroimaging techniques.

3. What types of graduate programs are available for studying molecular biophysics and learning and memory?

There are various graduate programs available, such as Master's and PhD programs in molecular biophysics, neuroscience, or biochemistry. Some universities also offer specialized programs in learning and memory research.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates of molecular biophysics programs with a focus on learning and memory?

Graduates with a background in molecular biophysics and learning and memory can pursue careers in academia, industry, or government agencies. They may work as researchers, professors, or consultants in fields such as neuroscience, pharmacology, or biotechnology.

5. What skills and qualifications do I need to apply for a graduate program in molecular biophysics with a focus on learning and memory?

Most programs require a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as research experience. It is also beneficial to have experience in computer programming, data analysis, and laboratory techniques. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.