I face some difficulties to find the domain

In summary, the domain of problem 46 is not all real numbers. For √x, domain is x>0. Use that for √(-1-s).
r-soy
I face some difficulties to find the domain

Now i put my questions and please help me to answer it

i try solve it

questions.JPG

answer 1.JPG

answer 2.JPG

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It can sometimes take several hours for attachments to be approved, so for quicker responses, it's best to type your questions out so that we can see them right away.

I think attachments are approved now >> :smile:

The domain of problem 46 is not all real numbers. For √x, domain is x≥0. Use that for √(-1-s).

The domain of 47 is larger than just w≥4; perhaps you were still thinking about domains with square roots. Try thinking about the domain of 1/x, or where it is undefined, and then think about the domain of (2x+3)/(w-4) again.

I can't quite make out your answer for the domain of 51, but it doesn't look right. But let's look at what you have with (y + 1)(y - 3)≥0. You know where the parabola crosses the x-axis and that it opens upward since the leading coefficient is positive. What part(s) of the graph will be above the x-axis, or ≥0?

Last edited:
As Bohrok said, if the domain was all real numbers for √(-1-s), it would be incorrect. Say s is equal to 2. -1-2 = -3. √-3 is an imaginary number. You want to make sure whatever is under the square root bracket is equal to 0 or more.

53. x^2-4x+5 and x^2+2x+3 can't be factor the way you did.

bohrok said:
The domain of problem 46 is not all real numbers. For √x, domain is x>0. Use that for √(-1-s).
The domain for f(x) = √x is x >= 0.

Mark44 said:
The domain for f(x) = √x is x >= 0.

I hit the wrong two-key combination instead of Ctrl-V. :redface: Corrected.

46 )
1-s ≥ 0
-s ≥ - 1

47) i think domain all real numer

51 ) please i want the answer

help me .>

r-soy said:
46 )
1-s ≥ 0
-s ≥ - 1
No. Start with -1 -s ≥ 0
You should end up with an inequality that involves s, not -s. Review the rules for working with inequalities if needed.
r-soy said:
47) i think domain all real numer
No. There is one real number that isn't in the domain of this function.
r-soy said:
51 ) please i want the answer
For this function to be defined, it must be that y2 -2y - 3 ≥ 0.
Factor the left hand side into two linear factors. For the product of the two factors to be ≥ 0, both factors have to be ≥ 0, or both have to be <= 0. Each case will produce its own set of numbers.
r-soy said:
help me .>

1. What is the meaning of "finding the domain" in science?

Finding the domain in science refers to determining the set of independent variables or inputs that are allowed in a particular experiment or study. It helps to define the scope and limitations of the research.

2. Why is it important to find the domain in a scientific study?

Finding the domain is crucial in a scientific study because it ensures that the research is focused and relevant. It also helps to identify any potential confounding variables that may affect the results of the study.

3. What are some common challenges faced when trying to find the domain in a scientific study?

Some common difficulties in finding the domain include identifying all the relevant variables, determining the appropriate units and scales for measurement, and accounting for any potential biases or limitations in the data.

4. How can one overcome difficulties in finding the domain in a scientific study?

To overcome difficulties in finding the domain, it is important to thoroughly review the research question and objectives, consult with experts in the field, and carefully consider all potential variables that may impact the study. It may also be helpful to use statistical techniques to analyze the data and identify any patterns or relationships.

5. Are there any resources available to assist with finding the domain in a scientific study?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with finding the domain in a scientific study. These include textbooks, online databases, research articles, and consulting with experts in the field. Additionally, some statistical software programs have features specifically designed to assist with identifying and analyzing the domain in research studies.