Acceleration of clay on a potter's wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of acceleration for a speck of clay on a potter's wheel rotating at 63 revolutions per minute. The experts suggest finding the derivative of the constant velocity to determine the magnitude of acceleration, and also mention the importance of considering the vector nature of velocity. It is noted that if the magnitude of acceleration is zero, the magnitude and direction of velocity will not change.
fattydq
What is the magnitude of the acceleration of a speck of clay on the edge of a potter's wheel turning at 63 revolutions per minute if the wheel's diameter is 34 cm? Just give 2 sig figs.I understand that to find VELOCITY ofo the speck of clay, I'd need to find the circumference of the circle, multiply that by 63 and divide it by time, but even then there's no time given.

But I'm asked to find acceleration...and I'm give no value for time at all, so I don't know how to go about it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"per minute" is a useful time reference.

lewando said:
"per minute" is a useful time reference.

Yes but it just says it's turning at that speed per minute, it doesn't say it speeds up to that from rest or give any other reference speed. How can you find acceleration if you're just told "It's going this speed"?

I just don't understand how you can possibly find acceleration, when you're only told the speed something is going. That's like saying "A car is going 60 miles per hour, what is it's acceleration?" Unless it's a trick question and the answer is 0 because it's speed is constant, but that's just silly?

63 rpm suggests that the magnitude of velocity is constant. Therefore to find the magnitude of acceleration you merely need to find the derivative of velocity. So what is the derivative of a constant?

Assume steady-state rotation. The speed of the particle is constant but the velocity is not.

Psych Berry said:
63 rpm suggests that the magnitude of velocity is constant. Therefore to find the magnitude of acceleration you merely need to find the derivative of velocity. So what is the derivative of a constant?

The derivative of a constant is zero...just as I said.

lewando said:
Assume steady-state rotation. The speed of the particle is constant but the velocity is not.

It's velocity isn't constant because it's changing direction, but it always stops and starts in the same place, so I still believe it would just be zero right?

fattydq said:
The derivative of a constant is zero...just as I said.

fattydq said:
It's velocity isn't constant because it's changing direction, but it always stops and starts in the same place, so I still believe it would just be zero right?

Yes and yes. If this problem were not referring to magnitude, the equation would be a = (v^2)/r

The magnitude of the acceleration is not zero. If it were, the velocity would not change.

lewando said:
The magnitude of the acceleration is not zero. If it were, the velocity would not change.

No, if the magnitude of acceleration is zero, then the magnitude of velocity will not change.

The vector acceleration does not equal zero, and therefore the vector velocity will not equal zero either.

Psych Berry said:

That's a bit misleading. The important thing to remember here is that velocity is a vector, and though its magnitude may remain the same, it still takes a force (An acceleration) to make an object make a turn. Otherwise it would keep going in a straight line (Newton's First Law)

[tex]\vec a \equiv \frac{d\vec v}{dt}[/tex]

What kind of trajectory does the speck of dirt trace out as it rotates? What do you know about the acceleration required for such a trajectory?

Psych Berry said:
No, if the magnitude of acceleration is zero, then the magnitude of velocity will not change.

The vector acceleration does not equal zero, and therefore the vector velocity will not equal zero either.

If the magnitude of acceleration is zero, then the magnitude of velocity will not change AND the direction of velocity will not change.

lewando said:
If the magnitude of acceleration is zero, then the magnitude of velocity will not change AND the direction of velocity will not change.

Magnitude is a scalar, NOT a vector.

What is the acceleration of clay on a potter's wheel?

The acceleration of clay on a potter's wheel is determined by the speed of the wheel and the force exerted by the potter's hands. The faster the wheel spins and the stronger the force, the greater the acceleration of the clay.

How does the shape of the potter's wheel affect the acceleration of clay?

The shape of the potter's wheel can impact the acceleration of clay in two ways. Firstly, a larger wheel will have a greater circumference, resulting in a larger distance for the clay to travel in a single rotation, leading to a higher acceleration. Secondly, a wheel with a wider base will provide more stability, allowing the clay to spin at a faster rate and increase its acceleration.

Does the type of clay used affect its acceleration on the potter's wheel?

Yes, the type of clay used does impact its acceleration on the potter's wheel. Different types of clay have varying levels of plasticity and moisture content, which can affect how easily the clay can be shaped and how quickly it can spin on the wheel. Generally, clay with higher plasticity and moisture content will have a higher acceleration on the wheel.

What role does friction play in the acceleration of clay on a potter's wheel?

Friction between the clay and the wheel's surface is essential for the acceleration of the clay. Without friction, the clay would not stick to the wheel and would not be able to spin. However, too much friction can also hinder the acceleration as it can create resistance and make it more difficult for the potter's hands to shape the clay.

How does the potter's technique affect the acceleration of clay on the wheel?

The potter's technique, including the amount of force applied and the angle of their hands, can significantly impact the acceleration of clay on the wheel. A skilled potter with a steady and controlled technique can achieve a higher acceleration and create more precise shapes. In contrast, a beginner with less experience may have a slower acceleration and less control over the clay's movements on the wheel.