How Do You Calculate Cell Potentials for Electrochemical Couples?

In summary, to calculate the potential of a Zn^2+/Zn and Ag^1+/Ag couple, you need to multiply the silver half reaction by two, flip the zinc reaction, and add the two energies to get a cell potential of 1.56V. However, the direction of the reaction does not matter and the calculation of potential does not require balancing the reaction.
w3390

Homework Statement

Calculate the potential of a Zn^2+/Zn and Ag^1+/Ag couple.

Homework Equations

Zn^2+ + 2e^1– ⇌ Zn E= –0.76 V
Ag^1+ + e^1– ⇌ Ag E= +0.80 V

The Attempt at a Solution

First I know to multiply the silver half reaction by two so that each half reaction has two electrons. Then I flip the zinc reaction and switch the sign of its energy. Then, I added the two energies to get a cell potential of 1.56V. However, my homework is telling me that this is incorrect. I can not think of any reason why that is so. Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
E is not energy. You don't need to balance reaction to calculate potential. You don't flip the reaction - direction doesn't matter, both oxidation and reduction are both taking place at exactly the same potential.

All that being said, 1.56 looks fine to me... I can be missing something - it happens, especiall early in the morning - but I think it is OK.

--

Your approach to calculating the cell potential is correct. However, the homework statement may have a typo as the correct cell potential for the Zn^2+/Zn and Ag^1+/Ag couple is 1.56 V. It is possible that the homework meant to ask for the potential of a Zn/Zn^2+ and Ag/Ag^1+ couple, in which case the correct cell potential would be -1.56 V. It is always important to double check the information given in the homework statement and equations to ensure accuracy in calculations.

1. What is a cell potential?

A cell potential is the measure of the voltage difference between two electrodes in an electrochemical cell. It represents the maximum amount of work that can be done by the cell's chemical reactions.

2. How is cell potential calculated?

Cell potential can be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of reactants and products, as well as the temperature and the number of electrons transferred in the reaction.

3. What factors affect cell potential?

The concentrations of reactants and products, the temperature, the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, and the electrode materials all affect cell potential. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the cell potential.

4. What is the standard cell potential?

The standard cell potential is the cell potential at standard conditions, which include 1 M concentrations for all species involved in the reaction, a temperature of 25°C, and a pressure of 1 atmosphere. It is denoted as E° and serves as a reference point for comparing other cell potentials.

5. How is cell potential related to the spontaneity of a reaction?

A positive cell potential indicates that the reaction is spontaneous, meaning it will occur without any external energy input. A negative cell potential indicates a non-spontaneous reaction, and an equilibrium is reached when the cell potential is zero.