Reducing the conductivity of silanol group

In summary, the speaker is looking for ways to reduce the conductivity of silanol groups in glass channels. They mention their lack of expertise in surface treatment and their knowledge of using OTS for treatment, but they are unable to use aqueous solutions afterwards due to increased hydrophobicity. Another person suggests heating the glass to condense the silanol groups and explains the chemical process involved, but the original speaker is concerned about potential damage to the glass and the impact on the double layer in their system. They also mention the importance of keeping protons for their system and question the amount and duration of heating needed. The other person notes that treatment with OTS will also remove the silanol groups, potentially impacting the double layer.
frenchero
Hi,

I am performiong electromosis into glass channels and I would like to reduce the silanol group conductivity. I am not an expert in surface treatment and I only know treatment with OTS but it makes the cannel become too hydrophobiac to use aquaeous solutions and that's hat I am using.
Any body has an idea?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try heating the glass to condense the silanol groups by removing water.

-Si-OH + HO-Si- ---> Si-O-Si + H2O

but would not heating cause extra damages to the glass before the silanol groups condense? I mean in this form glass is pretty stable and you will have to heat at high temperature won't you?

another really important that I forgot to mention is that the silanol groups create a double layer in my system by exchanging protons so I need to keep protons which I do not if I condense silanol groups.

How much to heat and for how long appears to be a unique set of parameters for your problem. You will need to keep some but perhaps not all?

BTW treatment with OTS will remove the silanol groups as well... bye, bye double layer!

1. What are silanol groups?

Silanol groups are chemical functional groups consisting of a silicon atom bonded to an oxygen atom and a hydrogen atom. They are commonly found on the surface of silica-based materials.

2. Why is reducing the conductivity of silanol groups important?

Reducing the conductivity of silanol groups is important in various applications, such as in semiconductors and electronics, where high conductivity can interfere with proper functioning of the materials. It is also important in analytical chemistry, where silanol groups can interfere with accurate measurements.

3. How can the conductivity of silanol groups be reduced?

The conductivity of silanol groups can be reduced by various methods, such as chemical modification of the surface, using surface passivation techniques, or by physically covering the surface with a non-conductive material.

4. Are there any drawbacks to reducing the conductivity of silanol groups?

Reducing the conductivity of silanol groups can potentially affect the properties of the material, such as its stability and reactivity. It can also be a time-consuming and expensive process.

5. Can the conductivity of silanol groups be completely eliminated?

It is difficult to completely eliminate the conductivity of silanol groups, as they are inherent to the structure of silica-based materials. However, it can be significantly reduced to a level that does not interfere with the desired application.