EE/stat., grad school, research

In summary, the conversation touched upon the individual's background and interests in pursuing grad school, specifically in the field of information theory. Suggestions were given to reach out to professors and explore interdisciplinary programs, as well as potential challenges in transitioning from statistics to electrical engineering. Personal experience in settling into a field and pursuing research was also shared.
toomba
Hi all,

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

I graduated in May with a B.A. in math and B.S. from the stat./operations research department at my school. I'm interested in going to grad school (I'd like to be a professor), and I've been trying to research programs, but all of my interests seem to be scattered across various departments, and I don't know which area of study I should commit to in order to be able to pursue my interests.

Subjects I found interesting in college include probability, combinatorics, time series analysis, logic, stochastic modeling, Brownian motion, and Monte Carlo simulation. I loved my stat. major, and I thought my professors were doing interesting things, but now that I'm looking at grad school courses, I don't think the stat. department courses cover what I want to learn.

As of right now, based on my own readings, the main thing I'd like to learn more about is information theory, which seems to be mainly studied by electrical engineering departments.

So, I'm thinking about EE grad study, or trying to move into EE, but to be honest, I don't know anything about the field, and don't know if this would be a smart thing to do, given that I'm still more interested in theory.

If anyone could tell about how they settled into their field/started pursuing research, that'd be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on your recent graduation and your interest in pursuing a career in academia! It sounds like you have a strong background in math and statistics, which are both great foundations for many fields of study.

In terms of advice for choosing a specific area of study for grad school, my first suggestion would be to reach out to your professors or other faculty members in your department. They are likely well connected in their respective fields and can provide valuable insight and guidance on potential grad programs that align with your interests. Additionally, they may be able to connect you with current graduate students or alumni who can share their experiences and advice.

You mentioned being interested in information theory, which is a fascinating and growing field. As you mentioned, it is often studied in electrical engineering departments, but it is also closely related to fields such as computer science, mathematics, and statistics. I would recommend exploring programs in these areas as well to see if they offer courses and research opportunities in information theory. You may also want to look into interdisciplinary programs that combine multiple fields of study, as this could be a great way to pursue your varied interests.

In terms of transitioning from statistics to electrical engineering, it is definitely possible, but it may require some additional coursework to fill in any knowledge gaps. I would suggest reaching out to faculty or current students in EE departments to learn more about the specific requirements and expectations for their programs.

Finally, my personal experience with settling into a field and pursuing research was a combination of exploring different areas of study through coursework and research opportunities, and networking with professors and other researchers in my field of interest. I would highly recommend taking advantage of any research opportunities, internships, or conferences in your field to get a better sense of what you enjoy and what areas you may want to pursue in grad school.

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your search for a grad program that aligns with your interests and career goals!

I can understand your dilemma and the difficulty in choosing a specific area of study for graduate school. It's common for interests to be scattered across different departments, especially when your undergraduate degree is in a broad field like mathematics and statistics. My advice would be to focus on your passion and interests rather than trying to fit into a specific department or field.

Since you mentioned your interest in information theory, I would recommend exploring graduate programs in electrical engineering that have a strong focus on information theory. This would allow you to continue pursuing your interests while also gaining knowledge and skills in a different field. It's not uncommon for researchers to have interdisciplinary backgrounds and expertise, so don't worry about not having a traditional path.

In terms of starting research, my suggestion would be to reach out to professors and researchers in your field of interest and ask if they have any projects or opportunities for you to get involved in. It's also a good idea to attend conferences or seminars related to your interests to network and learn more about current research in the field. Don't be afraid to explore different options and keep an open mind as you navigate your graduate school journey. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between EE and Stat.?

EE (Electrical Engineering) is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Stat. (Statistics) is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, presentation, and organization of data. While both fields involve data analysis, EE focuses more on the physical aspects and applications of data, while Stat. focuses more on the mathematical and theoretical aspects.

2. Is grad school necessary for a career in EE or Stat.?

It depends on your career goals and aspirations. Some positions may require a graduate degree, while others may not. However, pursuing a graduate degree in either field can provide you with advanced knowledge, skills, and research opportunities that can give you a competitive edge in the job market.

3. What is the research process like in EE or Stat.?

The research process in EE or Stat. typically involves identifying a research topic or problem, reviewing existing literature, formulating a hypothesis or research question, designing and conducting experiments or data analysis, interpreting the results, and presenting your findings to the scientific community through publications or presentations.

4. How do I find a research advisor for grad school?

One way to find a research advisor for grad school is to reach out to professors whose research interests align with yours and express your interest in working with them. You can also attend department seminars and conferences to network with potential advisors. Additionally, many universities have a formal process for assigning advisors to incoming graduate students.

5. What are some potential career paths for EE or Stat. graduates?

EE and Stat. graduates can pursue a variety of career paths, including working in industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and consulting. They can also work in research and development, academia, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. Some common job titles for EE graduates include electrical engineer, systems engineer, and data scientist, while Stat. graduates often work as statisticians, data analysts, or research scientists.