Polymer Properties Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of polymers compared to semiconductors, metals, and ceramics. The multiple choice question includes options for melting points, densities, plastic deformation, and electrical conductivity. The conversation also touches on the concept of plastic deformation and the property that determines it.
360modina
Tell me what your ideas are for this multiple choice question

Compared to semiconductors, metals, and ceramics, polymers:

a) have lower melting points
b) tend to have lower densities
c) deform plastically to a higher extent
d) have lower electrical conductivity
e) all of the above
f) a, b, & c
g) a, b, & d

As of now I'm 99% sure that a is true, polymer tend to melt easily. I'm actually sure that b is true also.

Engineering news on Phys.org
do polymers (I'm assuming things like plastics, but there are also natural and biopolymers) conduct electricity? What about metals, ceramics and semiconductors?

What does plastic deformation invlove? Which property of a material determines its plastic deformation?

I think c is mostly true but I'm not sure about d

My ideas for this multiple choice question are that e) all of the above is the correct answer. Polymers generally have lower melting points compared to semiconductors, metals, and ceramics. They also tend to have lower densities, making them lighter and more flexible. Additionally, polymers can deform plastically to a higher extent, meaning they can change shape without breaking. And finally, polymers have lower electrical conductivity compared to the other materials listed. Therefore, the correct answer would be e) all of the above.

1. What are polymers?

Polymers are large molecules made up of repeating units called monomers. They can be naturally occurring or synthetic and have a variety of uses in our everyday lives, such as in plastics, rubber, and textiles.

2. What are the key properties of polymers?

The key properties of polymers include their molecular weight, chain structure, and the types and arrangement of monomers. These properties can affect the physical, mechanical, and chemical properties of the polymer, such as strength, flexibility, and reactivity.

3. How are polymer properties determined?

Polymer properties are determined by a combination of factors, including the monomer composition, molecular weight, polymerization method, and processing conditions. Testing methods such as thermal analysis, mechanical testing, and spectroscopy can also be used to measure specific properties.

4. How do polymer properties affect their applications?

The properties of a polymer directly influence its applicability and performance in different applications. For example, a polymer with high strength and durability may be suitable for use in construction materials, while a polymer with high flexibility and elasticity may be used in clothing or medical devices.

5. Can polymer properties be modified?

Yes, polymer properties can be modified through various methods such as copolymerization, blending, and cross-linking. These techniques can alter the molecular structure and composition of the polymer, resulting in different properties and applications.