Building a Scale for Spaghetti Bridge Contest - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation revolved around a project involving a local spaghetti bridge contest and the use of a plate with strain gages and LabView to create a scale. The "hot zone" of the plate was identified, and a line of regression was used to calibrate the scale. The individual also shared their solution to a problem they encountered while plotting their data.
BuickBoy
Hello All,

I'm currently working on a project to help with a local spaghetti bridge contest.

I'm trying to build a scale of sorts from a plate that is supported at each end. Picture a bracket "[" but with the two legs on the ground.

I'm using strain gages on the bottom in the shape of a full Wheatstone bridge. I've identified the "hot zone" of the plate by testing and comparing strain results from applying twenty pound increments from zero to one hundred sixty pounds. The "hot zone" is basically the center of the plate. (9inches by 6inches)

I'm using LabView as my tool to output the weight. Using a SC2345 module board and a SCC-SG24 module, I've got good strain numbers coming into my program. I've plotted the load vs strain in an excel spreadsheet and inserted a line of regression to get the slope of the line. This is basically to "calibrate" my scale.

I know my applied loads, and I know my strain... what do I do now to get my weight when it is not known? i.e. when 45.54lbs is applied to the scale

Thanks in advance for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I figured out my own problem.

I plotted my data with the strain on the Y-axis not the X-axis as I needed. Once I did that I was able to figure out the slope (3.357 in my case) and then multiply the strain by the slope which will give me my weight.

Simple algebra gets you sometimes. ;)

Thanks anyway!

1. How do you determine the weight limit for the spaghetti bridge?

The weight limit for a spaghetti bridge is typically determined by the strength of the spaghetti itself. Each spaghetti strand can only hold a certain amount of weight before it breaks, so the total weight limit for the bridge is calculated by multiplying the number of strands by their individual weight limit.

2. What type of spaghetti should be used for the bridge?

The type of spaghetti used for the bridge can vary, but most competitions require the use of regular, uncooked spaghetti. Other types such as angel hair or whole wheat spaghetti may also be allowed, but it is important to check the competition rules beforehand.

3. How should the spaghetti be connected to create a strong bridge?

There are a few different methods for connecting spaghetti strands to create a strong bridge. Some common techniques include using glue, tape, or small pieces of wood to reinforce the joints. Whichever method is chosen, it is important to evenly distribute the weight and avoid any weak points in the structure.

4. Can other materials be used in addition to spaghetti?

Some competitions may allow the use of additional materials, but in general, the bridge should be primarily made of spaghetti. The use of other materials may be limited to certain areas of the bridge or for specific purposes, so it is important to carefully read the rules before incorporating any additional materials.

5. How can I improve the strength of my spaghetti bridge?

There are a few ways to improve the strength of a spaghetti bridge. One is to use additional reinforcement materials such as glue or tape. Another is to carefully design the structure of the bridge, making sure to evenly distribute the weight and avoid any weak points. Additionally, using thicker or more strands of spaghetti can also increase the strength of the bridge.