What is the force exerted on a car and driver during acceleration?

• Thread starter Brittykitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a 950 kg car with a driver whose mass is 75.0 kg starts from rest and reaches a velocity of 50.0 km/h (13.88 m/s) in 8.50 seconds. Using the formula F=ma, the force exerted on the car and driver during this time interval can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the car and driver (1025 kg) by the acceleration (1.630 m/s^2), giving a result of 1672.75 N. Please be careful with units and equations when solving problems.
Brittykitty
A 950 kg car starts from rest and reaches a velocity of 50.0 km/h in 8.50 s. If the driver has a mass of 75.0 kg, what force is exerted on the car and driver during this time interval?

I am very confused on this question. I was thinking:

950kg+750.kg=1025
50.0/3.6 =13.88 +8.5 = 22.38s

1025/22.38 ... but obviously all of that is wrong seeing as how it doesn't give me any of answers I can choose from :( help! what am i doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Brittykitty said:
A 950 kg car starts from rest and reaches a velocity of 50.0 km/h in 8.50 s. If the driver has a mass of 75.0 kg, what force is exerted on the car and driver during this time interval?

I am very confused on this question. I was thinking:

950kg+750.kg=1025
the mass of the car and driver is 1025 kg, OK
50.0/3.6 =13.88
please watch your units, 13.88 m/s is the velocity of the car after 8.5 seconds, then its acceleration is v/t, not v + t, and
1025/22.38
Where does this this formula come from? Please write out your relevant equations.

Firstly, it is important to clarify that the units for mass should be in kilograms (kg) rather than kilometers (km). With that being said, let's approach this question step by step.

The force exerted on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the car's mass is 950 kg and it goes from rest to a final velocity of 50 km/h in a time interval of 8.50 seconds. We need to convert the final velocity to meters per second (m/s) since the standard unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). So, 50 km/h is equivalent to 13.89 m/s (50 km/h divided by 3.6).

Next, we can calculate the acceleration of the car using the formula acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. Since the car starts from rest, its initial velocity is 0 m/s. Therefore, the acceleration is (13.89 m/s - 0 m/s)/8.50 s = 1.63 m/s^2.

Now, we can calculate the force exerted on the car using the formula force = mass x acceleration. So, the force exerted on the car is 950 kg x 1.63 m/s^2 = 1553.5 N.

Finally, we also need to consider the force exerted on the driver. The driver's mass is 75 kg and they are also experiencing the same acceleration as the car. Therefore, the force exerted on the driver is 75 kg x 1.63 m/s^2 = 122.3 N.

In conclusion, the total force exerted on the car and driver during the acceleration is 1553.5 N + 122.3 N = 1675.8 N.

1. What is exerted force?

Exerted force, also known as applied force, is a physical quantity that describes the amount of force applied to an object in a specific direction. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is exerted force different from gravitational force?

Exerted force is any force that is applied to an object, whereas gravitational force is a specific type of force that is exerted by the Earth on objects near its surface. Exerted force can be either a push or a pull, while gravitational force is always a pull towards the center of the Earth.

3. What are some examples of exerted force?

Some examples of exerted force include pushing a shopping cart, pulling a door open, and kicking a soccer ball. In each of these situations, a force is being applied to an object in a specific direction.

4. How is exerted force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the exerted force on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the exerted force, the greater the acceleration of the object will be.

5. Can exerted force change the motion of an object?

Yes, exerted force can change the motion of an object. When a force is applied to an object, it can either speed up, slow down, or change direction, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. This is known as Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line, unless acted upon by an external force.