What is the construction of gamma matrices and spinors in higher dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of spinors and Clifford algebra in various dimensions, particularly in the context of string theory. The appendix B of Polchinski's volume II is referenced, but the individual is seeking simpler introductory articles on the construction of gamma matrices and spinors. Another book, "A menu of supergravities" by Van Proeyen, is suggested as a helpful resource. The conversation also delves into the construction of the gamma matrices in even dimensions and the use of \sigma^3 in the representation. The individual also brings up the introduction of conjugation and charge conjugation matrices, leading to further confusion.
ismaili
Dear guys,

I want to understand the spinors in various dimensions and Clifford algebra. I tried to read the appendix B of Polchinski's volume II of his string theory book. But it's hard for me to follow and I stuck in the very beginning. I will try to figure out the outline and post my questions later.

For now, I want to ask for very simple, introductory articles for the construction of gamma matrices and spinors in various dimensions. (Is the appendix B of Polchinski the simplest article among all?:blushing:)

Thanks for your help!

Ismaili

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe "A menu of supergravities" of Van Proeyen can help you. I found it quite understandable.

haushofer said:
Maybe "A menu of supergravities" of Van Proeyen can help you. I found it quite understandable.
Excuse me,
I searched for this book in libraries nearby and on google but I couldn't find it?
Was this book published in english?

---
In the following, I briefly present the content and one of my question by which I stuck.

In the appendix B of Polchinski's string book.
One starts from the Clifford algebra in SO(d-1,1)
[tex] \{ \gamma^{\mu} , \gamma^\nu \} = 2\eta^{\mu\nu}
[/tex]
In the even dimension, [tex] d = 2k+2 [/tex], one can group the [tex]\gamma^\mu [/tex] into [tex] k+1 [/tex] sets of anticommuting creation and annihilation operators,
[tex]
\gamma^{0\pm} = \frac{1}{2} (\pm\gamma^0 + \gamma^1)
\quad\quad \gamma^{a\pm} = \frac{1}{2}(\gamma^{2a} \pm i \gamma^{2a+1})
[/tex]
where [tex] a=1,2,\cdots, k[/tex].
One then found that,
[tex]
\{ \gamma^{a+}, \gamma^{b-} \} = \delta^{ab}\quad\quad
\{ \gamma^{a+} , \gamma^{b+} \} = \{ \gamma^{a-} , \gamma^{b-} \} = 0
[/tex]
That is, one finds that the gamma matrices can be grouped into the creation and annihilation operators of [tex]k[/tex] species of fermions. In particular, from
[tex] (\gamma^{a-})^2 = 0 [/tex]
one sees there exist a vacuum [tex] |\xi\rangle [/tex] annihilated by all [tex]\gamma^{a-}[/tex].
Thus, by this observation, one constructed the representation of Clifford algebra in the following space,
[tex]
(\gamma^{k+})^{s_k+1/2}\cdots(\gamma^{0+})^{s_0+1/2} |xi\rangle
[/tex]
, i.e. a space of the tensor product of [tex]k[/tex] species fermions; so, the dimension of this representation is [tex]2^{k+1}[/tex].

In [tex] d = 2 [/tex], one can easily work out the matrix form of the gamma matrices,
[tex] \gamma^0 = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 &1\\ -1 &0\end{array}\right) = i\sigma^2[/tex]
[tex] \gamma^1 = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 &1\\ 1 &0\end{array}\right) = \sigma^1[/tex]

One can construct the representation in higher dimensional even space recursively, by [tex] d \rightarrow d+2 [/tex]. But now comes my question, for [tex] d = 6 [/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^0 = i\sigma^2\otimes\textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}\otimes\textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^1 = \sigma^1 \otimes \textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)} \otimes \textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\quad\quad\quad\vdots
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^4 = I \otimes I \otimes \sigma^1
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^5 = I \otimes I \otimes \sigma^2
[/tex]
where [tex] I [/tex] is the 2 by 2 unit matrix.
My question is that, why do we use [tex] \textcolor{red}{\sigma^3} [/tex]? I thought it should be the 2 by 2 identity matrix!

Anybody guides me through this?
Thank you so much for your help!

ismaili said:
Excuse me,
I searched for this book in libraries nearby and on google but I couldn't find it?
Was this book published in english?

---
In the following, I briefly present the content and one of my question by which I stuck.

In the appendix B of Polchinski's string book.
One starts from the Clifford algebra in SO(d-1,1)
[tex] \{ \gamma^{\mu} , \gamma^\nu \} = 2\eta^{\mu\nu}
[/tex]
In the even dimension, [tex] d = 2k+2 [/tex], one can group the [tex]\gamma^\mu [/tex] into [tex] k+1 [/tex] sets of anticommuting creation and annihilation operators,
[tex]
\gamma^{0\pm} = \frac{1}{2} (\pm\gamma^0 + \gamma^1)
\quad\quad \gamma^{a\pm} = \frac{1}{2}(\gamma^{2a} \pm i \gamma^{2a+1})
[/tex]
where [tex] a=1,2,\cdots, k[/tex].
One then found that,
[tex]
\{ \gamma^{a+}, \gamma^{b-} \} = \delta^{ab}\quad\quad
\{ \gamma^{a+} , \gamma^{b+} \} = \{ \gamma^{a-} , \gamma^{b-} \} = 0
[/tex]
That is, one finds that the gamma matrices can be grouped into the creation and annihilation operators of [tex]k[/tex] species of fermions. In particular, from
[tex] (\gamma^{a-})^2 = 0 [/tex]
one sees there exist a vacuum [tex] |\xi\rangle [/tex] annihilated by all [tex]\gamma^{a-}[/tex].
Thus, by this observation, one constructed the representation of Clifford algebra in the following space,
[tex]
(\gamma^{k+})^{s_k+1/2}\cdots(\gamma^{0+})^{s_0+1/2} |xi\rangle
[/tex]
, i.e. a space of the tensor product of [tex]k[/tex] species fermions; so, the dimension of this representation is [tex]2^{k+1}[/tex].

In [tex] d = 2 [/tex], one can easily work out the matrix form of the gamma matrices,
[tex] \gamma^0 = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 &1\\ -1 &0\end{array}\right) = i\sigma^2[/tex]
[tex] \gamma^1 = \left(\begin{array}{cc}0 &1\\ 1 &0\end{array}\right) = \sigma^1[/tex]

One can construct the representation in higher dimensional even space recursively, by [tex] d \rightarrow d+2 [/tex]. But now comes my question, for [tex] d = 6 [/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^0 = i\sigma^2\otimes\textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}\otimes\textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^1 = \sigma^1 \otimes \textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)} \otimes \textcolor{red}{(-\sigma^3)}
[/tex]
[tex]
\quad\quad\quad\vdots
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^4 = I \otimes I \otimes \sigma^1
[/tex]
[tex]
\gamma^5 = I \otimes I \otimes \sigma^2
[/tex]
where [tex] I [/tex] is the 2 by 2 unit matrix.
My question is that, why do we use [tex] \textcolor{red}{\sigma^3} [/tex]? I thought it should be the 2 by 2 identity matrix!

Anybody guides me through this?
Thank you so much for your help!

I think I know the answer to the use of [tex]\sigma^3[/tex].
The gamma matrices in d = 2 invole only [tex]\sigma^1, \sigma^2[/tex].
When we add the spacetime dimension by 2,
in order to get the correct anti-commutation relations,
we have to tensor product the original gamma matrices by [tex]\sigma^3[/tex].

-----

After figuring out the construction of higher dimensional gamma matrices,
I was confused by the suddenly born conjugation matrix [tex]B[/tex] and charge conjugation matrix [tex] C [/tex]

1. What are spinors?

Spinors are mathematical objects that are used to represent the intrinsic angular momentum (spin) of particles in quantum mechanics. They are complex vector fields that transform under rotations in a specific way.

2. In what dimensions do spinors exist?

Spinors exist in dimensions that are multiples of 2 (2, 4, 6, etc.). In physics, they are most commonly studied in 3 and 4 dimensions, but they can also be defined in higher dimensions.

3. How are spinors related to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. It was formulated by incorporating spinors into the Schrödinger equation, and is considered to be one of the most successful theories in physics.

4. Can spinors be used to describe other types of particles?

Yes, spinors can be used to describe other types of particles with intrinsic spin, such as quarks and neutrinos. They are also used in other areas of mathematics and physics, such as differential geometry and superstring theory.

5. What is the geometric interpretation of spinors?

Spinors have a geometric interpretation as elements of a spinor space, which is a complex vector space that has a special relationship to the underlying geometric space. This allows spinors to be used in a variety of mathematical and physical applications, such as defining spinor fields and spinor representations of symmetry groups.