How popular is PCTRAN in the industry?

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, PCTRAN is a reactor analysis tool that is used by AREVA for coupled Point-Reactor Kinetics to Thermal-Hydraulics analysis. It appears to be more useful for operators or managers, but not for nuclear engineers. Coding changes would require VB, which is not commonly used in the industry. It is recommended to look into lattice codes instead. Micro-simulation Technology offers PCTRAN and manuals can be requested from them. However, for nuclear engineering simulation work, it is suggested to focus on programs such as RELAP5, TRACE, or lattice codes.
koab1mjr
is it a widely used tool for reactor analysis. And does anyone know of where I can find a usermanual? I am looking to teach myself since my school is buying the program and I will have to setup a ssimple simulation by the end of the semester.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have personally not used it, but I know that AREVA uses RELAP for their coupled Point-Reactor Kinetics to Thermal-Hydraulics analysis.

Just from quick inspection on their website, PCTRAN appears to be more useful to operators or managers. Any engineering alterations to the model itself (e.g. the NSSS) would require coding changes via VB, which is a rather niche language given the dominance of FORTRAN in the industry.

In short, I wouldn't consider this a useful reactor analysis tool for the nuclear engineer. Look into lattice codes.

koab1mjr said:
is it a widely used tool for reactor analysis. And does anyone know of where I can find a usermanual? I am looking to teach myself since my school is buying the program and I will have to setup a ssimple simulation by the end of the semester.

Thanks in advance
Why not contact Micro-simulation Technology with a request.
http://www.microsimtech.com/

Industry projects
http://www.microsimtech.com/pctran/page6.htm

OK thanks for the replies, I will put my emphasis in RELAP5, the school bought a whole bunch of programs such as TRACE, RELAP5 and PCTRAN, i wasn't sure which one was the best for nuclear engineering type work and simulation.

I will email and ask for manuals as well.

1. What is PCTRAN?

PCTRAN is a computer code that simulates the behavior of nuclear power plants, including reactor core behavior, coolant system behavior, and containment system behavior.

2. How popular is PCTRAN in the industry?

PCTRAN is a widely used computer code in the nuclear power industry and has been in use for over 30 years. It is used by many different organizations, including nuclear power plant operators, regulatory agencies, and research institutions.

3. What are the advantages of using PCTRAN?

PCTRAN offers several advantages, including its ability to accurately simulate complex nuclear power plant systems, its user-friendly interface, and its ability to provide real-time data during plant operations. It is also constantly updated and maintained by a team of experts, ensuring its reliability and accuracy.

4. Are there any limitations to using PCTRAN?

Like any computer code, PCTRAN has its limitations. It may not be able to accurately simulate every possible scenario, and its results should always be verified with actual plant data. Additionally, it requires a certain level of technical expertise to operate effectively.

5. Can PCTRAN be used for other purposes besides nuclear power plant simulation?

Yes, PCTRAN can also be used for training purposes, research and development, and accident analysis. It has been used in various studies and experiments to improve the safety and efficiency of nuclear power plants.