Capacitance Homework: Show C=(ϵ_0 A)/d

Q is the charge on the plates.Now, we can use the definition of charge density (ρ) to rewrite this as:C = Q/(Ed) = (ρA)/(Ed)Finally, substituting this into our previous equation for C, we get:C = (ϵ_0A)/dIn summary, by manipulating the given equation for div.ξ and using the definitions of electric field, potential difference, and charge density, we can show that the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is given by C=(ϵ_0A)/d. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your studies!
nicholasjgroo

Homework Statement

If the electric field is E and

div.ξ=ρ/ϵ_0

where
ξ=-dV/dx

show that the capacitance is
C=(ϵ_0 A)/d

because i don't know how to type it I'm representing ξ with E for the electric field

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done this as two two bits

if E=-dV/dx I've said E=v/d

and div.ξ=ρ/ϵ_0

dE/dx=ρ/ϵ_0

E=(sigma)/ϵ_0 (integral) dirac function

E=sigma/ϵ_0

sigma/ϵ_0 =Q/Aϵ_0

Q/Aϵ_0=V/d

C=Aϵ_0/d

i'm wondering if I've got this right, sorry if its hard to follow

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems that you are trying to show the relationship between electric field and capacitance. Your approach looks correct, but I would like to provide some clarification and additional steps to make the solution more clear.

First, let's define some variables for easier understanding:

E = electric field
ξ = potential difference (V) per unit length (x)
ρ = charge density
ϵ_0 = permittivity of free space
C = capacitance
A = area of the plates (assuming a parallel plate capacitor)
d = distance between the plates

Now, let's start with the given equation:

div.ξ=ρ/ϵ_0

We can rewrite this as:

-dE/dx=ρ/ϵ_0

Next, we can use the definition of electric field (E) to rewrite this as:

-d(-dV/dx)/dx=ρ/ϵ_0

Simplifying, we get:

d^2V/dx^2=ρ/ϵ_0

Now, we can integrate both sides with respect to x:

∫d^2V/dx^2 dx = ∫ρ/ϵ_0 dx

Integrating, we get:

dV/dx = ρx/ϵ_0 + C1

where C1 is the constant of integration.

Now, we can use the definition of ξ to rewrite this as:

E = -dV/dx = -ρx/ϵ_0 - C1

Next, we can integrate this equation with respect to x to get the potential difference (V) between the plates:

∫E dx = ∫(-ρx/ϵ_0 - C1) dx

Integrating, we get:

V = -ρx^2/2ϵ_0 - C1x + C2

where C2 is another constant of integration.

Now, let's consider a parallel plate capacitor with plates of area A and distance d between them. We can assume that the electric field (E) is constant between the plates, so we can use the definition of electric field (E) to rewrite this as:

E = V/d

Substituting this into our equation for V, we get:

V = Ed

Now, we can solve for C, the capacitance:

C = Q/V = Q/(Ed)

where

1. What is the formula for capacitance?

The formula for capacitance is C = (ϵ0 A)/d, where C represents capacitance, ϵ0 represents the permittivity of free space, A represents the area of the plates, and d represents the distance between the plates.

2. What do the variables in the capacitance formula represent?

The variable C represents the capacitance, which is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge. ϵ0 represents the permittivity of free space, which is a constant value representing the ability of a vacuum to sustain an electric field. A represents the area of the plates in the capacitor, and d represents the distance between the plates.

3. How is capacitance related to charge and voltage?

Capacitance is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on the plates of a capacitor and inversely proportional to the voltage applied across the plates. This relationship can be represented by the equation C = Q/V, where Q is the charge and V is the voltage. As capacitance increases, the amount of charge that can be stored on the plates also increases, while the voltage decreases.

4. What are the units of capacitance?

The SI unit of capacitance is the farad (F), which is equivalent to coulombs per volt (C/V). In practice, smaller units such as microfarads (μF) and picofarads (pF) are often used.

5. How is capacitance affected by changes in plate area and distance?

Capacitance is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the area of the plates increases, capacitance also increases, while increasing the distance between the plates decreases capacitance. This relationship can also be expressed as C = ϵ0 (A/d), where ϵ0 is a constant value.