What is the phase difference between points P and R in Figure 4?

In summary, the question involves finding the phase difference between P and R in a wave given the amplitude, wavelength, and distance between the two points. Using the equation for phase difference in radians, the calculated value is 3.2757 radians, which can be converted to 187 degrees. However, the correct answer in the book is 180 degrees, which may suggest rounding to the nearest 90 degrees in this case. It is unclear if this same rounding would apply in a C1 exam.
PhysicsAShelp
Phase Difference - Waves! Help! URGENT

Homework Statement

Firstly, can I add that this question is second part of a question , the first part asked me to find the amplitude and wavelength of a wave from a picture, I got these to be a) Amplitude = 8mm - b) Wavelength = 47mm <<<<These two are 100% correct values, I checked the answers at the back of the book.

So, the question I'm stuck on is "For the waves in figure 4: - determine the phase difference between P and R." I've measured this and the distance between the two is 100% 24.5mm. From this I use the equation:
the phase difference in radians = 2 x Pi x d/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

Homework Equations

the phase difference in radians = 2 x Pi x d/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the phase difference in radians = 2 x Pi x d/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
I do, 2 x Pi x 0.0245/0.047 = 3.2757... This gives my answer in rads, but, from here one, do you convert it too degrees, secondly is this correct.
The correct answer at the back of the book is 180degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org

i can only tell you that the last arithmetic is correct

if you convert it into degrees (3.27*180/pi) you get 187 deg which is 7 deg off by your book result

Hmmm, I wonder if maybe you do it to the nearest 90? Because on another question I get 268 the answer is 270 though...?

EDIT:: For the C1 exam do you guys reckon if it asked for the phase difference in degrees I'd round it to the 180,270 etc or just the normal 3sigfig?

What is phase difference?

Phase difference is a measure of how much two waves are out of sync with each other. It is usually measured in degrees or radians and is used to describe the relationship between the peaks and troughs of two waves.

What causes phase difference?

Phase difference is caused by a difference in the starting point or frequency of two waves. This can occur when the waves are generated by different sources, have different wavelengths, or travel through different mediums.

How is phase difference measured?

Phase difference can be measured using a variety of methods, depending on the type of wave and the equipment available. For example, it can be measured using an oscilloscope, by analyzing interference patterns, or by using mathematical equations.

What is the significance of phase difference in waves?

The phase difference between two waves is important in understanding how they interact with each other. It can determine whether waves will amplify or cancel each other out, and is also used in applications such as signal processing and communication systems.

Can phase difference be negative?

Yes, phase difference can be negative. It is usually represented as a positive or negative angle, depending on the direction of the shift between the waves. A negative phase difference indicates that one wave is shifted to the left or right of the other wave, while a positive phase difference indicates a shift in the opposite direction.