Swimming in short wavelength waves and high wavelength waves

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference in swimming in water waves of short wavelength versus large wavelength from the viewpoint of a swimmer. The difference becomes apparent when the swimmer's body length is comparable to the wavelength. The higher frequency of waves contains more energy but it is unclear how it affects the ease of swimming. The conversation also touches on the role of water physics in aiding a swimmer, specifically drafting and surfing behind another swimmer.
ap_cycles
Hi all.

Just wondering. Any difference - from the viewpoint of a swimmer - when one swims in water waves of short wavelength as compared to large wavelength?

I read about this somewhere before in a newspaper article. The difference will be apparent when the length of the swimmer's body is comparable to that of the wavelength. (Why?)

(disclaimer: I understand that the higher the frequency of waves, the more energy it contains. But still i don't see how it affects to the ease of swimming in them.)

Can forummers shed light on this issue. I am a high school physics teacher. Someone once remarked that once i state down my job title (ie a teacher), people will be more forthcoming with their replies. :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
ap_cycles said:
Hi all.

Just wondering. Any difference - from the viewpoint of a swimmer - when one swims in water waves of short wavelength as compared to large wavelength?

I read about this somewhere before in a newspaper article. The difference will be apparent when the length of the swimmer's body is comparable to that of the wavelength. (Why?)

(disclaimer: I understand that the higher the frequency of waves, the more energy it contains. But still i don't see how it affects to the ease of swimming in them.)

Can forummers shed light on this issue. I am a high school physics teacher. Someone once remarked that once i state down my job title (ie a teacher), people will be more forthcoming with their replies. :cool:

Interesting question. As an open water swim competitor, I can tell you first-hand that waves around your body length make breathing harder, and waves a few times your body length make it hard to sight the buoys.

Are you asking more from a swim stroke efficiency point of view?

Thanks for asking me to narrow the question...

I guess, central to my concern, my question is:

All things being equal, which type of water physics will aid a swimmer (eg make him swim faster, stroke efficiency etc), and what is the underlying physics behind it?

ap_cycles said:
All things being equal, which type of water physics will aid a swimmer (eg make him swim faster, stroke efficiency etc), and what is the underlying physics behind it?

Assuming the swimmer is already using an efficient stroke (the skulling stroke -- see www.Active.com for more swimming tips), then I'm only aware of two water physics things that can help:

** Drafting -- When you swim closely behind another swimmer, you get the benefit of reduced drag because the lead swimmer is pushing the water a bit, which presents you with water that is already moving in your direction some. The lead swimmer also tends to knock down any oncoming wake or waves, so you have smoother water behind them.

** Surfing -- If you swim at the right place to the side and behind another swimmer, you can get a little surfiing help off of their wake. This is why you see competitive swimmers move over to the side of their lane, when they are slightly behind a swimmer in that other lane.

Thanks for the valuable input...

1. What is the difference between short wavelength waves and high wavelength waves?

Short wavelength waves have a shorter distance between each crest or trough, while high wavelength waves have a longer distance between each crest or trough. In other words, short wavelength waves have a higher frequency and energy than high wavelength waves.

2. Is it safe to swim in short wavelength waves?

It depends on the specific conditions and your swimming abilities. Short wavelength waves can be more powerful and have a higher risk of causing injuries, so it is important to assess the conditions and your skills before entering the water.

3. How do short wavelength waves affect swimming performance?

Short wavelength waves can be challenging to swim against, as they can cause more resistance and require more energy to overcome. However, they can also provide a boost for swimmers by propelling them forward and increasing their speed.

4. What are the dangers of swimming in high wavelength waves?

High wavelength waves can be dangerous for inexperienced swimmers or those who are not strong swimmers. They can also be more unpredictable and cause strong currents, making it difficult to swim and potentially leading to drowning.

5. Can swimming in short wavelength waves be beneficial for training?

Yes, swimming in short wavelength waves can be beneficial for training as it can help improve endurance, strength, and technique. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and choose appropriate conditions for training in short wavelength waves.