What does an engineer's job really entail?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter unknown18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is unsure about what to study in university and is considering engineering, particularly electrical/electronic engineering. They are unsure about the job responsibilities of engineers and the difference between engineering and a BSc in physics. They also ask about potential job opportunities for those with an MSc in physics. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out the provided links for more information.
unknown18
Hi
I'm starting university soon and I'm not really sure what I want to do.
I have been wondering whether to take up engineering as a profession as I'm interested in electrical/electronic aspects of physics. But I'm not sure what the jobs of engineers really include? Does it involve a lot of designing? What does an electrical/electronic engineer really do?

What is the difference between engineering and say BSc physics? And what kind of jobs do Msc Physicists get?

Sorry for my ignorance but please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_electrical_electronic_engineering/Your_skills/p!eeXdppm

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_physics/Your_skills/p!efbaepi

These links should help. Have a read and, if you have any questions, come back to us!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main role of an engineer?

An engineer's main role is to use scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that solve problems and improve quality of life.

2. What skills are necessary to be a successful engineer?

Successful engineers possess a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and effective communication and teamwork abilities.

3. What are the different types of engineering?

There are several types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and biomedical engineering. Each type focuses on specific areas of design and development.

4. What industries do engineers typically work in?

Engineers work in a wide range of industries, including construction, manufacturing, transportation, energy, healthcare, technology, and government. They may also work in research and development or in consulting roles.

5. How does an engineer's job impact society?

An engineer's job has a significant impact on society by improving the quality of life through the development of new technologies, infrastructure, and innovations in various industries. They also play a crucial role in addressing challenges related to sustainability, safety, and efficiency.