How Do You Calculate the Initial Rate of H2O2 Disappearance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction involving H2O2 and I- in the presence of starch, buffer, and other solutions. The solution turns blue in 1.9 minutes, indicating the presence of I2. The question is to calculate the initial rate of disappearance of H2O2 in units of M min-1 to two significant figures. The conversation then moves on to discussing the necessary equations and methods for solving the problem.
chemnerd666

Homework Statement

In the reaction between H2O2 and I-, 15 mL of 0.30M KI, 75. mL of 0.10M H2O2 and 21 mL of 0.020M Na2S2O3 were mixed in a flask containing starch and buffer and the total volume was made up to 500mL with distilled water. The solution turned blue (indicating the presence of I2) in 1.9 minutes. Calculate the initial rate of disappearance of H2O2 in units of M min-1 to two significant figures.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue how to answer this question, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reaction equation?

Once you have that ready, can you write equation for reaction speed?

--
methods

What is a chemical reaction rate?

A chemical reaction rate is a measure of how quickly a chemical reaction occurs. It is determined by the speed at which reactants are converted into products.

How is the rate of a chemical reaction affected by temperature?

Increasing the temperature typically increases the rate of a chemical reaction. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reacting molecules, allowing them to collide more frequently and with greater force.

What factors can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, surface area of reactants, and the nature of the reactants and products.

What is a catalyst and how does it affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It does this by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it easier for the reactants to form products.

How can the rate of a chemical reaction be measured?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be measured by monitoring the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. It can also be measured by observing other physical changes, such as color or temperature, that occur during the reaction.