Calculate Molar Concentration of Nitrogen Trichloride

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the molar concentration of nitrogen trichloride in a sample of air collected near a swimming pool. The solution involves working with the percentage by mass and using the molecular weight to find the number of moles in one liter. Different approaches may lead to slightly different answers.
elitewarr

Homework Statement

A sample of air was collected to assess the safety level of nitrogen trichloride in the air around a swimming pool. It was found that the air contained 0.0025% by mass of nitrogen trichloride. Calculate the molar concentration of nitrogen trichloride in the sample collected.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that mole is directly proportional to volume for gas. But it's percentage by mass. I have no idea how to do this.
The answer is 2.07x10^-4 moldm^-3 .

Can anyone explain to me or give me some clues?

I know that air is a mixture and should be done differently from finding empirical formula of a compound.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked through it and got 2.65 * 10^-7 M, a bit off from the answer you gave. I assumed standard temperature and pressure, are you given different information in the problem?

I started by calculating the mass of 1 L of air at STP, then used % by mass to calculate mass of the NCl3, used that mass + molecular weight to find the # of moles in one liter.

I'm kinda curious to see why my answer is different and if anyone else solved the problem in a different way.

1. What is the molar mass of nitrogen trichloride?

The molar mass of nitrogen trichloride (NCl3) is approximately 120.36 g/mol. This value can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of one nitrogen atom (14.01 g/mol) and three chlorine atoms (35.45 g/mol each).

2. How do I calculate the molar concentration of nitrogen trichloride?

The molar concentration (also known as molarity) of a substance can be calculated by dividing the moles of the substance by the volume of the solution in liters. To calculate the moles of nitrogen trichloride, you can use the formula moles = mass (in grams) / molar mass (in g/mol). Once you have the moles, divide by the volume (in liters) of the solution to get the molar concentration.

3. What is the formula for nitrogen trichloride?

The chemical formula for nitrogen trichloride is NCl3. This means that one molecule of nitrogen trichloride contains one nitrogen atom and three chlorine atoms.

4. How can I convert between molar concentration and other units of concentration?

To convert from molar concentration to other units of concentration, you can use the following conversion factors:

1 M = 1000 mM (millimolar)

1 M = 1000 μM (micromolar)

1 M = 1000000 nM (nanomolar)

5. What are some common uses of nitrogen trichloride?

Nitrogen trichloride is mainly used as a reagent in organic synthesis reactions. It is also used as a bleaching agent in the paper and textile industries, as well as a disinfectant and herbicide. However, it is a toxic and corrosive substance, and should be handled with caution.