How Do You Solve Projectile Motion Problems in Physics?

In summary, the question is asking for help with projectile motion problems, specifically involving a person who is 1.6m tall throwing a ball at 41 degrees above the horizontal with a velocity of 9.4m/s. The formulas provided are used to calculate the distance the ball will land from the person, the time it will be in the air, and the ball's maximum height. The summary also includes additional steps to find the time it takes for the ball to drop to the ground and to use a quadratic formula to find the total time in the air.
patpatboy2
Help on projectile motion problems please?

Someone who is 1.6m tall throws a ball 41 deg above the horizontal at 9.4m/s.

A) How far away from the person will the ball land?
B) How long will it be in the air?
C) What is the ball's maximum height?

Formulas:
df = di + vi(t) + .5(a)(t^2)
others?

Attempt:
Velocity of the ball in the y = 9.4(sin41) = 6.167m/s
Time: 0 = 6.167 + (-9.8)(t); t = 0.63s
Max vertical distance = 0 + (6.167)(.63) + .5(9.8)(.63^2) = 5.83002

Is this right? I don't know if I did any of that right, and I don't know how to do the rest of the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You're well on your way now. You've figured that given an initial y-velocity, it would be smart to consider when it reaches zero velocity due to the downwards acceleration from gravity, and you've got that right. You've also calculated the max height of the ball, only forgetting the height of the thrower.

Ask yourself now, how long does it take for the ball to drop to the ground from that height?

Thanks! This helped a lot. I think I'll be okay from here... just have to be able to do this on my final exam tomorrow. *Gulp* lol

Best of luck! :)

I believe the initial height of the ball is 1.6 meters not 0

"Max vertical distance = 0 + (6.167)(.63) + .5(9.8)(.63^2) = 5.83002"

[PLAIN]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/563/1111am.png

"Time: 0 = 6.167 + (-9.8)(t); t = 0.63s"

the equation will only get you t1, there's still another t1 and t2 you also have to find

you can find t2 using the equation

x = xo + vot + (1/2)at2

and then using the "quadratic formula"

thus you get the time it takes to fall, and you can use that with one of the kinematic equations to get the horizontal distance traveled and how long it will be in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the acceleration of gravity. This means that the object is only affected by the force of gravity and moves in a curved path called a parabola.

What are the key components of a projectile motion problem?

The key components of a projectile motion problem are the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed since the object was launched. These components are used to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

How do I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you can use the equations of motion for vertical and horizontal motion, as well as the kinematic equations. It is important to break down the problem into components and use the appropriate equations for each component. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities.

What are some common mistakes when solving projectile motion problems?

Some common mistakes when solving projectile motion problems include forgetting to account for the acceleration due to gravity, using the wrong equations for the given situation, and not properly converting units. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the object's motion and use positive and negative signs correctly.

How can I check my answer for a projectile motion problem?

You can check your answer for a projectile motion problem by using the equations of motion to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. You can also double check your work by plugging in your values into the original equations and making sure they are satisfied. Additionally, you can use online calculators or graphing tools to visually check your answer.