Friction, object pulled at an angle, given only (mue) and max tension hmmm

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving finding the maximum angle of a mass on an incline. The participants suggest using calculus and the Bunyakovsky inequality to find the solution. The final answer is 19 degrees, but there may be other methods to solve it. The participants also discuss the difficulty of the problem and the use of calculus in the course.
Beamsbox
Having difficulties with this, I assume that something's supposed to cancel out at some point, but I must be missing something important. If someone could point em in the right direction... Thanks for all your help, once again!

Math_Physics.jpg

(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/BeamsBox/Math_Physics.jpg)

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very interesting problem. Your initial thought patterns are the same as mine.

I would suggest you try using calculus. I'm not certain this will work though, I'm quite tired.

EDIT: Okay, just worket it through. You've said that Tcos(theta)=muFn.
Rearrange to get Fn.
Substitute this into Fn + Tsin(theta) = mg.

Differentiate mg with respect to theta and let it equal to 0 at maximum.
This should get you the required angle.

What is the correct answer?

BTW, there are probably easier methods, but this is the first one that came to mind.

Last edited:
Is this a calculus based physics course? Looking at this the only way i can think of how to do it is with calculus. I'm going to assume it is.
The question is asking at which angle is the mass maximized. There fore you need to find [tex]\frac{dm}{d\theta}[/tex] and set it equal to zero. then you can solve for the angle.

The answer in the book is 19 degrees. The course sells itself as having a calculus component, but it's few and far in between in application. I haven't had calc for a handful of years, so I have to thank you all for your help!

I've showed my workings, but still have no verification that I did it correctly. I got 19.3 and assume the book just rounded down. Please let me know if you think this is correct, or if there's something else.
Chapter_6_Problem_17.jpg

(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/BeamsBox/Chapter_6_Problem_17.jpg)

Cheers!

Yes, you got it.
There is another way not using calculus. From the last equation (before you take the derivative of it): [tex]A=\frac{0.35mg}{T}=0.35sin\theta + cos\theta[/tex].
Apply the Bunyakovsky inequality: [tex](ab+cd)^2\leq (a^2+c^2)(b^2+d^2)[/tex], plus that [tex]sin^2\theta + cos^2\theta = 1[/tex], you will have [tex]A\leq \sqrt{1^2+0.35^2}[/tex]. The both sides equal only when [tex]\frac{a}{c}=\frac{b}{d}[/tex] or [tex]tan\theta = \frac{sin\theta }{cos\theta }=0.35[/tex].

Thanks for the feedback.

I've never heard of Bunyakovsky... I'll have to look into that.
Thanks once more!

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact with each other. It acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can slow it down or stop it completely. Friction is caused by roughness and adhesion between surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction (mue) related to the amount of friction?

The coefficient of friction (mue) is a measure of the roughness and adhesion between two surfaces. A higher mue value means a greater amount of friction, while a lower mue value means less friction.

3. What happens to an object when it is pulled at an angle?

When an object is pulled at an angle, the force of tension is divided into two components: one parallel to the surface (tangential force) and one perpendicular to the surface (normal force). This affects the amount of friction acting on the object.

4. How is the maximum tension calculated for an object being pulled at an angle?

The maximum tension can be calculated by finding the tangential component of the tension force and setting it equal to the maximum friction force (mue x normal force). The normal force can then be found using the object's weight and the angle at which it is being pulled.

5. Why is it important to consider friction and tension when pulling an object at an angle?

Friction and tension play a crucial role in determining the movement and stability of an object being pulled at an angle. Neglecting these forces can lead to inaccurate predictions and possibly result in accidents or damage to the object.