Calculating Percent Uncertainty for Volume of a Beach Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball with a given radius. The general rule is that when quantities multiply, the relative errors add up. The volume is proportional to the cube of the radius, so the percent error in volume is thrice the percent error in the radius. By applying the error propagation formula, the result is 9%.
Melissa
hi, I'm attempting a physics problem... it is:
What, roughly, is the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball whose radius is r= 2.86 plus or minus 0.09 m.
Now, I tried to find the percent uncertainty by just doing .09/2.86, but I'm assuming I need to do something with the radius (in the way of changing it to the full volume...) before I can calculate this.
I know that to find the volume it would be 4/3 pi R cubed, but after that... how does the volume correlate to the .09? Does that need to be altered as well? I know the answer is 9% but I would like to actually understand how the question is done!
I'm just confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
General Rule : When quantities multiply, the relative errors in those quantities add up.

The volume is proportional to the cube of the radius. As a result the percent error in volume is thrice the percent error in the radius.

ok... so since I cube the radius, I multiply the % error by 3...
ah. and that gives me 9%.
You are a genius. Why must physics profs supply us with pages and pages of calculations when you can solve a problem like THAT instead...

1. What is the formula for calculating percent uncertainty for volume of a beach ball?

The formula for calculating percent uncertainty for volume of a beach ball is (ΔV/V) x 100, where ΔV is the absolute uncertainty in volume and V is the measured volume.

2. How do I determine the absolute uncertainty in volume for a beach ball?

The absolute uncertainty in volume can be determined by taking the difference between the maximum and minimum measured volumes. This can be done by measuring the diameter of the beach ball and using the formula V = (4/3)πr³, where r is the radius of the beach ball. The difference between the maximum and minimum volumes will give you the absolute uncertainty in volume.

3. Can the percent uncertainty for volume of a beach ball be negative?

No, the percent uncertainty for volume cannot be negative. It is always expressed as a positive value, as it represents the relative error in the measured volume.

4. Is it necessary to calculate percent uncertainty for volume of a beach ball?

Calculating percent uncertainty for volume is important as it helps to determine the accuracy and reliability of the measured volume. It also allows for comparison between different measurements and can be used to identify any potential sources of error in the measurement process.

5. How can I reduce the percent uncertainty for volume of a beach ball?

The percent uncertainty for volume can be reduced by increasing the precision of the measurements. This can be done by using more accurate measuring tools, taking multiple measurements and averaging them, and minimizing any external factors that may affect the measurement such as temperature or pressure changes.