Calculating Temperature Increase in Iron with Double the Molecules

In summary: The Celcius scale is fixed at two points (0 and 100) by boiling and freezing pure water at a certain atmospheric pressure. but what shape is the line joining these points? Is it a straight line, or a parabola? In what sense is 50 degrees C 'half way' between 0C and 100C ?The Celcius scale is fixed at two points (0 and 100) by boiling and freezing pure water at a certain atmospheric pressure. but what shape is the line joining these points? Is it a straight line, or
JayseR
For most of you experts out there, this should be fairly simple to answer. Well, technically, all it takes is logic to answer this:

A block of Iron has a temperature of 10 degrees celsius.
There is a second block of iron, identicle to the first, that is 2x the temperature of the first block of iron.

What is the temperature of the second block of iron?

Physics news on Phys.org
JayseR said:
For most of you experts out there, this should be fairly simple to answer. Well, technically, all it takes is logic to answer this:

There is a second block of iron, identicle to the first, that is 2x the temperature of the first block of iron.

40 degrees celsius.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Using my Post 1491 analog calculator, I line up 10 degrees Celsius with the left index, move the cursor to 2 on the D scale, read 293 degrees Celsius on the Celsius scale. (select to see answer).

BobG, surely, I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe that's because I really haven't much used calculators, least of all, the analog ones you're so fond of. Somehow, you seem to have lucked out and gotten the right answer. :wink:

BobG said:
Using my Post 1491 analog calculator, I line up 10 degrees Celsius with the left index, move the cursor to 2 on the D scale, read [deleted or otherwise it would show on this dark background] degrees Celsius on the Celsius scale.

Wow...BobG, did you really need a calculator for that? :bugeye: Your reply almost put me off attempting the teaser. :biggrin:

If BobG's answer is correct (I think it is), then you really do need a knowledge of absolute temperatures and not just logic.

Twice 283 K (10 degrees Celsius) x 2 = 566 K = 293 degrees Celsius.

Highlight the empty space above to behold my answer. :approve: :tongue2:

JayseR said:

The question is incompleted. It depends of the dynamic state of the observer. If an observer is attached to a reference frame traveling a speed near light speed, then the measurements would be done by means of photoelectric instruments. The thermal energy will depend on the reference frame, and so the temperature.

Sounds pretty well, isn't it?

Technically, BobG is right. If you convert 10 degrees celsius into kalven, then double that number, and convert the doubled number back into celsius, you will get bob's answer. Good job :)

JayseR said:
Technically, BobG is right. If you convert 10 degrees celsius into kalven, then double that number, and convert the doubled number back into celsius, you will get bob's answer. Good job :)

Which Bob and what is the answer?

The Bob (2004 ©)

The correct answer is 293C. The absolute scate for temperature is the Kelvin scale. So to double the temperature, you must double the Kelvin temperature.

Gokul43201 said:
The correct answer is 293C. The absolute scate for temperature is the Kelvin scale. So to double the temperature, you must double the Kelvin temperature.

Understood. Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

yuppo! that's right, and I'm prettty sure I said that BobG was right.

JayseR said:
yuppo! that's right, and I'm prettty sure I said that BobG was right.

Sorry. :redface: :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

How do we know that temperature is a linear scale? If it is a measure of the kinetic energy of the molecules that make up a substance, then that energy increases as the square of the average (for some meaning of average) molecular speed.

The Celcius scale is fixed at two points (0 and 100) by boiling and freezing pure water at a certain atmospheric pressure. but what shape is the line joining these points? Is it a straight line, or a parabola? In what sense is 50 degrees C 'half way' between 0C and 100C ?

recon said:
Wow...BobG, did you really need a calculator for that? :bugeye: Your reply almost put me off attempting the teaser. :biggrin:

If BobG's answer is correct (I think it is), then you really do need a knowledge of absolute temperatures and not just logic.

Twice 283 K (10 degrees Celsius) x 2 = 566 K = 293 degrees Celsius.

Highlight the empty space above to behold my answer. :approve: :tongue2:

I guess no one saw my solution in my previous post. :mad: :cry: I shouldn't write my answers in white next time. :smile: :tongue:

I saw it.

But, the use of my 1955 calculator, which you made fun of me for using, which has never had a new set of batteries installed in it, which is just now finally beginning to get that nice broken in feel to it, and which should last at least another 25 years, enabled me to get my answer in first. :biggrin:

You got to love good bamboo.

ceptimus said:
How do we know that temperature is a linear scale? If it is a measure of the kinetic energy of the molecules that make up a substance, then that energy increases as the square of the average (for some meaning of average) molecular speed.

Linear in what ? Temperature is not a linear function of the RMS velocity, but is linear in the average KE.

The Celcius scale is fixed at two points (0 and 100) by boiling and freezing pure water at a certain atmospheric pressure. but what shape is the line joining these points?
Is it a straight line, or a parabola? [/quote]

This question doesn't make sense unless you specify what you're plotting the temperature against.

In what sense is 50 degrees C 'half way' between 0C and 100C ?

This can be answered. The total kinetic energy of 2n molecules of a thing at 50C is the same as the total KE of n molecules at 0C and n at 100C.

Gokul43201 said:
This can be answered. The total kinetic energy of 2n molecules of a thing at 50C is the same as the total KE of n molecules at 0C and n at 100C.
Thanks. I should have known that, but didn't. :smile:

1. What does "2x 10°C" mean in the context of iron temperature?

"2x 10°C" refers to the temperature of iron being twice the value of 10°C, which is equivalent to 20°C.

2. Is 20°C a common temperature for iron?

No, 20°C is not a common temperature for iron. Iron typically exists at room temperature, which is around 25°C.

3. How does the temperature of iron affect its properties?

The temperature of iron can greatly affect its properties. At higher temperatures, iron becomes softer and more malleable, making it easier to shape and work with. At lower temperatures, iron becomes harder and more brittle, making it more difficult to work with but also increasing its strength and durability.

4. Can iron reach temperatures higher than 20°C?

Yes, iron can reach much higher temperatures than 20°C. Iron has a melting point of 1538°C and can even reach temperatures as high as 5500°C in specific conditions.

5. What factors can influence the temperature of iron?

The temperature of iron can be influenced by various factors, such as the environment it is in, the amount of heat it is exposed to, and any physical or chemical changes occurring within the iron. Other factors such as pressure, composition, and impurities can also affect the temperature of iron.