Finding the a circle's tangent line which intersects a given point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a line tangent to a given circle and intersecting a given point in 2D space. Geometrically, this can be done by drawing a line connecting the point to the center of the circle, bisecting it, and using the midpoint as the center to strike a new circle. The two points where the circles intersect will be the points where the line from the given point is tangent to the circle. Algebraically, this can be solved by setting up two equations and solving for the intersection points. The conversation also includes a programmatic solution for finding the intersection points.
jla2125

Homework Statement

So, it's my understanding that there must exist a line which is tangent to a given circle and intersects a given point in 2D space. I'm trying to find that line. Any form will do, but I'm currently aiming for the coordinates of the two points: the intersection point, and the point that lies on the given circle. I already have the intersection point, and the circle's location, and the circle's radius.

Homework Equations

None that work...

The Attempt at a Solution

After several hours of fiddling, this is what's given me the best approximation so far. However, it doesn't work for all positions of the circle.

tangentx = circlex - r;
tangenty = -r * sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) + circley;

I've gone through several iterations of things like this, and I have a sort of visualization I whipped up in Flash, as that's where this whole thing will eventually end up. Give it a go http://jeremyabel.com/secret/rubber_band.html" Grab the red line, and you'll see the blue circle, along with the yellow line, which is being drawn according to the equation above. In the case above, theta = the angle of the green center line. As you can see, it works good enough for my purposes when you're below the line and even above it, but once you go to the upper right, it all goes down hill from there...

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Geometrically, you can do this: Draw the line connecting the point to the center of the circle. Bisect that line segment. Using that point as center and the distance from that point to the center of the circle (half the distance from the center of the circle to the given point, as radius strike a new circle. The two points at which the circles cross will be points where the line from the given point will be tangent to the given circle.

That is true because any point on a circle makes a right angle between the lines from the ends of any diameter to that point.

Algebraically, you can do this:

Suppose the given point is [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] and the circle has center at [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] and radius r. The midpoint between the center of the circle and the given point is [itex]((x_1+ x_0)/2, (y_1+ y_0)/2)[/itex] and half the distance is

[tex]\sqrt{(x_1- x_0)^2+ (y_1- y_0)^2}/2[/tex].

The given circle has equation
[tex](x- x_1)^2+ (y- y_1)^2= r^2[/tex]
and the circle with center at the midpoint, radius equal to half the distance between the given point and center of the circle has equation

[tex](x- (x_0+ x_1)/2)^2+ (y- (y_0+ y_2)/2)^2= \frac{(x_1- x_0)^2+ (y_1-y_0)^2}{4}[/tex].

Solve those two equations for the points at which the line from the given point is tangent to the circle. You can then use the "two-point" formula to find the equation of the circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No freakin' way! I can't believe I didn't see that before! That circle trick's pretty neat.

Now, about that algebra: which two equations do I need to solve to get the points? are you referring to the last two? Also, the last equation has a variable I haven't seen elsewhere: [tex](y_2)[/tex]. What is that referring to? I take it that if I solve that last equation for x and y I'll get the coordinates of the tangent point? Sorry I'm not up on all this, I haven't done this stuff since high school...

There were only two equations in my post!

They were
[tex](x- x_1)^2+ (y- y_1)^2= r^2[/tex]
and
[tex](x- (x_0+ x_1)/2)^2+ (y- (y_0+ y_1)/2)^2= \frac{(x_1- x_0)^2+ (y_1-y_0)^2}{4}[/tex]

The "[itex]y_2[/itex]" was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the help! I got it all figured out pretty quickly after that. If anyone's interested, here's how I did it programmatically:

given circle's center points c1 and c2, and circle's radii r1 and r2:

[tex]d_x = c_2_x - c_1_x [/tex]
[tex]d_y = c_2_y - c_1_y [/tex]
[tex]d_a = d_x^{2} * d_y^{2}[/tex]

[tex]a = ({r_1{}}^{2} - {r_2{}}^{2} + d_a) / 2d [/tex]
[tex]h = \sqrt{{r_1{}}^{2} - a^{2}} [/tex]

[tex]x_2 = \frac{c_1_x + a(c_2_x - c_1_x)}{d} [/tex]
[tex]y_2 = \frac{c_1_y + a(c_2_y - c_1_y)}{d} [/tex]

[tex]p_1 = (x_2 + h(c_2_y - c_1_y) / d, y_2 - h(c_2_x - c_1_x) / d)) [/tex]
[tex]p_2 = (x_2 - h(c_2_y - c_1_y) / d, y_2 + h(c_2_x - c_1_x) / d)) [/tex]

[tex]p_1[/tex] and [tex]p_2[/tex] are the two intersection points.

1. How do you find the tangent line of a circle that intersects a given point?

To find the tangent line of a circle that intersects a given point, you will need to use the formula for finding the equation of a tangent line. First, determine the coordinates of the given point. Then, use the formula (y-y1) = m(x-x1), where m is the slope of the tangent line and (x1, y1) are the coordinates of the given point. The slope of the tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the circle's equation and plugging in the x-coordinate of the given point. This will give you the slope of the tangent line. Finally, substitute the slope and the coordinates of the given point into the formula to get the equation of the tangent line.

2. Can you explain the process of finding a circle's tangent line graphically?

Yes, the process of finding a circle's tangent line can be explained graphically. First, draw the circle and the given point on a graph. Then, draw a line from the center of the circle to the given point. This line will be the radius of the circle. Next, draw a line perpendicular to the radius at the given point. This line will be the tangent line. The tangent line will intersect the circle at the given point and will be perpendicular to the radius of the circle.

3. What is the significance of finding a circle's tangent line?

Finding a circle's tangent line is significant because it allows us to determine the slope of the circle at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications, such as optimization problems or determining the rate of change of a function. Additionally, the tangent line can be used to approximate the behavior of the circle near the given point.

4. Are there any special cases when finding a circle's tangent line?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding a circle's tangent line. One special case is when the given point is on the circle, in which case the tangent line will be the same as the circle itself. Another special case is when the given point is inside the circle, in which case there will be two tangent lines that intersect the circle at the given point. Lastly, if the given point is outside the circle, there will be no tangent lines that intersect the circle.

5. Can the tangent line of a circle intersect the circle at more than one point?

No, the tangent line of a circle can only intersect the circle at one point. This is because the tangent line is defined as a line that touches the circle at only one point and is perpendicular to the radius at that point. If a line intersects the circle at more than one point, it is not a tangent line.