Calculating the Young's Modulus of Rubber - Calculation Check

In summary, the student attempted to calculate the Young's modulus of rubber using different weights and lengths, but the final result was too small.
RajdeepSingh7

Homework Statement

Dear Yahoo Answers,
Can someone please help me with this as it's driving me crazy!
We had to complete an experiment where had to calculate the Young’s modulus of Rubber,
by doing an experiment.
So we used a rubber band and various weights to calculate the values, to hence calculate the Young's Constant.

Homework Equations

My values are as follows:

Force = 0.4 kg = 3.92 Newtons
Orginal Length = 50mm
Change in Length = 184.33mm
( Therefore Final Length = 234.33mm)
and Area = 2.5 mm^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Do these values look approximately correct,
and does the final Modulus value of 425 324.147 N/m^-2
look alright for that of rubber?

The problem of that would be that it's actually too small for the actual range for the Modulus,
between 0.1 and 0.01 * 10^9 N/m^2.

Clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.
Any help and/or contribution will be great appreciated too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you measured the area correctly? Remember it will narrow as it is stretched.

@haruspex I 've noticed you reply to this old threads like the OP is going to hear you and you going to have a dialogue with him but this 99.99% isn't going to happen. The point of replying this unanswered threads is so that future google readers will find them useful and PF will get better google score.
I suggest if you going to reply to these threads to give strong hints towards their solution or even write the full solution. Or give some guidelines so that someone that knows the basics of theory will be able to solve the problem if he follows your guidelines.

Delta2 said:
@haruspex I 've noticed you reply to this old threads like the OP is going to hear you and you going to have a dialogue with him but this 99.99% isn't going to happen. The point of replying this unanswered threads is so that future google readers will find them useful and PF will get better google score.
I suggest if you going to reply to these threads to give strong hints towards their solution or even write the full solution. Or give some guidelines so that someone that knows the basics of theory will be able to solve the problem if he follows your guidelines.
Yes, I am quite aware the original OP is long gone, but it still seems right just to give the hint/correction I would have given at the time. Remember that one reason for this exercise is to show what help can be expected from the forum.

Another student coming in with the same question should not be presented with a full solution, and may well gain from the hint offered. If their issue is different, they can post to the thread.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Well ok that's another way to deal with this situation...

My decision on how to respond to these was to ignore the age of the original post and proceed as usual. We have our guidelines for providing help and we believe in them for good reason. In my opinion, deviating from them will blur the line between PF and the "for hire" problem-solving sites.

• Wow
Likes Delta2

1. What is the Young's Modulus of rubber?

The Young's Modulus of rubber, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a rubber material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain in a material when it is under tension or compression.

2. How is the Young's Modulus of rubber calculated?

The Young's Modulus of rubber can be calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) of a rubber material. This can be expressed as E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain.

3. What units is the Young's Modulus of rubber typically measured in?

The Young's Modulus of rubber is typically measured in units of pressure, such as Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa). These units indicate the amount of force (in Newtons) per unit area (in square meters) required to stretch or compress the rubber material.

4. Can the Young's Modulus of rubber vary between different types of rubber?

Yes, the Young's Modulus of rubber can vary significantly between different types of rubber materials. This is because the elastic modulus is affected by factors such as the composition, molecular structure, and processing of the rubber material.

5. What is the significance of calculating the Young's Modulus of rubber?

Calculating the Young's Modulus of rubber is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of rubber materials under different types of stress. This information is useful in various industrial and engineering applications, such as designing rubber products and structures that can withstand certain loads without deforming or breaking.