Center of mass of a uniform density square centered at the origin. Offset by width/4?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a uniform density square centered at the origin. The original equation for the center of mass is derived and used, but the resulting answer is offset by w/4. After further analysis, it is discovered that a mistake was made in the substitution, which led to the incorrect answer. The conversation also mentions the importance of using known results and practicing to gain experience in finding the center of mass.
InvisibleMan1

Homework Statement

To get used to finding the center of mass of an object, I have decided to start with a uniform density square. The square is centered at the origin. The center of mass should be at the center of the square, and thus at the origin.

When I tried to solve this however, my answer was offset by width/4. I've gone through the integration a couple times and I cannot find any errors in my work...

Homework Equations

Definitions:
M = Total mass of the object
A = Area of the object
M/A = The uniform density of the object.
r = Vector from the origin to a point on the object.

Original equation for the center of mass of a 2D object with uniform density.
M/A*int(int(rdy)dx)*1/M

w = The width/height of the square.
A = w^2
r = xi+yj

Inner integral:
Interval: [-w/2 w/2]
int(xi+yj)dy = xwi+(w^2)/4j

Outer integral:
int(xwi+(w^2)/4j)dx = (w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j

Substituting into the original equation:
M/(w^2)*((w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j)*1/M = 1/(w^2)*((w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j) = w/4i+w/4j

That answer should be 0i+0j, but it isn't.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using r=1i+ij instead of r=xi+yj looks like it would solve the problem, but that breaks the definition, since every point in the square is not located at <1, 1>.

Physics news on Phys.org

InvisibleMan1 said:

Homework Statement

To get used to finding the center of mass of an object, I have decided to start with a uniform density square. The square is centered at the origin. The center of mass should be at the center of the square, and thus at the origin.

When I tried to solve this however, my answer was offset by width/4. I've gone through the integration a couple times and I cannot find any errors in my work...

Homework Equations

Definitions:
M = Total mass of the object
A = Area of the object
M/A = The uniform density of the object.
r = Vector from the origin to a point on the object.

Original equation for the center of mass of a 2D object with uniform density.
M/A*int(int(rdy)dx)*1/M

w = The width/height of the square.
A = w^2
r = xi+yj

Inner integral:
int(xi+yj)dy = xwi+(w^2)/4j

Outer integral:
int(xwi+(w^2)/4j)dx = (w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j

Substituting into the original equation:
M/(w^2)*((w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j)*1/M = 1/(w^2)*((w^3)/4i+(w^3)/4j) = w/4i+w/4j

That answer should be 0i+0j, but it isn't.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using r=1i+ij instead of r=xi+yj looks like it would solve the problem, but that breaks the definition, since every point in the square is not located at <1, 1>.

Why are you using r? Since your square is centered at (0, 0) and is of uniform density, the moments about the x and y axes are both going to be zero, so the center of mass will be at (0, 0). You can set up integrals for Mx and My, but you should be able to convince yourself that each integral will be zero, due to the symmetry of the figure and the constant density.

I know it will be (0,0). I said as much in the post. I chose this because it is a simple example of finding the center of mass. I don't need to find this center of mass. I need experience finding the center of mass. Starting with known results is a very good place to start.

At any rate, the problem has been solved. (-w/2)^2 != -w^2/4

1. What is the center of mass of a uniform density square centered at the origin?

The center of mass of a uniform density square centered at the origin is the point at which the entire mass of the square can be considered to be concentrated, and the square will remain in equilibrium.

2. How is the center of mass of a square determined?

The center of mass of a square can be determined by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the square.

3. What does it mean for the center of mass to be offset by width/4?

Offsetting the center of mass by width/4 means that the center of mass is shifted a quarter of the width of the square in the x or y direction, depending on which direction is specified.

4. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it is a key factor in determining the overall motion and stability of an object. It also plays a role in calculating the moment of inertia and torque of an object.

5. Can the center of mass of a square change?

Yes, the center of mass of a square can change if the distribution of mass within the square changes. For example, if a heavier object is placed in one corner of the square, the center of mass will shift towards that corner.