Multiple Shock reflection problem

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum turning angle A for which 3 regular reflections of an oblique shock with an initial Mach number of 2 are possible. The minimum Mach number for a straight attached shock is greater than 1, and in order for the 3rd reflection to occur, the Mach number between the 2nd and 3rd reflection must also be greater than 1. To solve this problem, you will need to work from both sides of the equation and use equations for x and y components. This may result in a lengthy equation, but ultimately, M5 should be less than 1.
daddydoodle
Here's the problem :

Air flows in a passage with an initial Mach No. 2. Determine maximum turning angle A for which 3 regular reflections (i.e. no Mach reflection) of the original oblique shock are possible?

51vpc3.png

Now, what exactly is a mach reflection? Also, what is the minimum Mach number required for a straight attached shock? From what I have read up, I've worked out that the Mach no. between the 2nd and 3rd (last) reflection should be greater than 1 (which I understood minimum mach number required for a straight attached shock). But I'm not quite sure if what I've understood is right. Could anyone clear this up for me?

Also, if I'm right, then we have the initial and the last (before the 3rd reflection) Mach nos. but then, there are too many unknowns in between to solve the problem. How do I go about that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been able to find a solution to this yet?

Answer yourself these questions:

1) Can a shockwave be created by an airflow that is less than Mach?
2) What happens to the airflow downstream of a shockwave?

This problem is tough, but not impossible. you will need to work from both sides of the equation to know what you are dealing with. Leaving your angles as variables will help.

Find M2 as a function of A, Find M2's Beta as a function of A, Then you will know the angle M2 is traveling at. You can use the equations you probably have for the x and y components. You do this down the line and you'll have a terribly long equation, but ultimately M5 should be <1.

A Mach reflection occurs when a shock wave reflects off a surface and creates a second shock wave that intersects with the first shock. This creates a complex shock structure and can occur at high Mach numbers. A straight attached shock occurs when the shock wave remains attached to the surface without any reflection.

To determine the maximum turning angle A for which 3 regular reflections are possible, we need to consider the Mach number at each reflection point. As you mentioned, the Mach number between the 2nd and 3rd reflections should be greater than 1 for a straight attached shock. This means that at the 2nd reflection, the Mach number should be greater than 1, and at the 3rd reflection, it should be less than 1.

To solve this problem, we can use the equations for oblique shock waves and the Mach reflection condition. We can also use the fact that the Mach number decreases as the shock wave turns, so the Mach number at the 3rd reflection should be lower than the initial Mach number.

By setting up and solving these equations, we can determine the maximum turning angle A for which 3 regular reflections are possible. It is important to note that this is a theoretical solution and may not be achievable in real-life situations due to factors such as shock wave strength and boundary layer effects.

What is the Multiple Shock reflection problem?

The Multiple Shock reflection problem is a phenomenon that occurs in fluid dynamics when multiple shocks, or sudden changes in pressure and density, occur in a fluid flow. This can happen when a shock wave reflects off of a solid surface and creates additional shocks, resulting in a complex flow pattern.

What causes the Multiple Shock reflection problem?

The Multiple Shock reflection problem is caused by the interaction between shock waves and solid surfaces. When a shock wave encounters a solid surface, it reflects and creates additional shocks, which can continue to reflect and create even more shocks. This can result in a complex flow pattern and can be difficult to predict and analyze.

What are the applications of studying the Multiple Shock reflection problem?

Studying the Multiple Shock reflection problem is important in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, defense, and high-speed transportation. Understanding the behavior of shock waves and their reflections can help in designing more efficient and stable aircraft, missiles, and other high-speed vehicles.

How is the Multiple Shock reflection problem studied?

The Multiple Shock reflection problem is typically studied using numerical simulations and experiments. Numerical simulations involve using computer programs to solve the equations governing fluid dynamics and predicting the behavior of shock waves and their reflections. Experiments involve creating controlled shock wave interactions in a laboratory setting and studying the resulting flow patterns.

What are some challenges in studying the Multiple Shock reflection problem?

One of the main challenges in studying the Multiple Shock reflection problem is the complexity of the flow patterns. It can be difficult to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of multiple shocks and their reflections, especially in real-life scenarios. Another challenge is the high computational cost and resources required for detailed numerical simulations and experiments.