How to find work done by friction?

• Thread starter Vee9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, The problem is to find the loss of energy of a ball rolling down a ramp using more than one method. One method involves using non-conservative forces and the other method involves finding the work done by friction. The information given is the mass of the ball and a diagram showing the energy on top of the ramp and at the bottom. The solution involves realizing that the energy at the bottom is less than the energy at the top, and this difference is due to friction. The coefficient of friction is not needed, only the work done by friction needs to be calculated.
Vee9

Homework Statement

"In more than one way, find the loss of energy of the ball as it rolls down the ramp."

If for one method, I use WNon-conservative force = Change in Energy, would the work be by kinetic friction?

If it is, then how would I find the work done by friction (which is the NCF) if I only have the following information:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/Physics_/Energy.jpg
Mass of ball = 0.0083 kg

Homework Equations

Uk = Ffriction/ Normal
WNCF = Change in energy
N = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I got stuck - I tried to find Ffriction but I don't have Uk.

Physics news on Phys.org
you don't need to know the coefficient of friction. you just need to know how much work is done by the friction.

If you calculate the energy on top of the ramp and at the bottom, you will realize that some of the energy is gone. Where did it go to?

kudoushinichi88 said:
you don't need to know the coefficient of friction. you just need to know how much work is done by the friction.

If you calculate the energy on top of the ramp and at the bottom, you will realize that some of the energy is gone. Where did it go to?

But if Wfriction = Ffriction (x) and I don't know the force of friction, how do I find it's work?

And it goes to friction, doesn't it? :O

1. How do I search for job openings?

One way to search for job openings is to use online job search engines and websites, such as Indeed, LinkedIn, or Glassdoor. You can also check company websites directly for any open positions. Networking and attending job fairs can also be helpful in finding job opportunities.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting hired?

To improve your chances of getting hired, you can start by tailoring your resume and cover letter to each job you apply for. This means highlighting relevant skills and experiences that match the job requirements. You can also practice for interviews and research the company beforehand to show your interest and preparation.

3. Is it important to have a professional online presence?

Yes, having a professional online presence can make a positive impression on potential employers. This can include having a LinkedIn profile, a personal website or portfolio, and a clean and appropriate social media presence. It is important to maintain a professional image online as employers often search for candidates online before making a hiring decision.

4. Should I only apply for jobs that I meet all the requirements for?

No, it is worth applying for jobs even if you don't meet all the requirements. Many job descriptions list ideal qualifications, but they are often flexible and may not be strictly required. If you have relevant skills and experiences, it is worth applying and showcasing how you can add value to the company.

5. How can I stand out among other job applicants?

To stand out among other job applicants, you can highlight your unique skills and experiences that make you a good fit for the job. This can include specific achievements, relevant projects, or specialized training. Additionally, following up after an interview and expressing your interest and enthusiasm for the position can also make you stand out to potential employers.