Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program Crippled by Computer Worm

In summary: Haha, that puts about 10% of my projects in jeopardy![actually, about 30% for last year]There's a lot of speculation as to who created Stuxnet, but it's safe to say that it was not created by a government IT project. It's interesting that the virus was tailed specifically to attack the control systems which use the Siemens Step 7 software suite. It can't possibly just be a fluke virus; S7 is for industrial equipment. Crazy.Finally, after the job was done, the worm would have to destroy itself without leaving a trace.This report confirms that the international campaign against Iran's nuclear program has made headway recently. I'm
Mathnomalous
According to Ed Barnes reporting for FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/26/secret-agent-crippled-irans-nuclear-ambitions/
FoxNews.com said:
The construction of the worm was so advanced, it was “like the arrival of an F-35 into a World War I battlefield,” says Ralph Langner, the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet. Others have called it the first “weaponized” computer virus.

Simply put, Stuxnet is an incredibly advanced, undetectable computer worm that took years to construct and was designed to jump from computer to computer until it found the specific, protected control system that it aimed to destroy: Iran’s nuclear enrichment program.

The target was seemingly impenetrable; for security reasons, it lay several stories underground and was not connected to the World Wide Web. And that meant Stuxnet had to act as sort of a computer cruise missile: As it made its passage through a set of unconnected computers, it had to grow and adapt to security measures and other changes until it reached one that could bring it into the nuclear facility.

When it ultimately found its target, it would have to secretly manipulate it until it was so compromised it ceased normal functions.

And finally, after the job was done, the worm would have to destroy itself without leaving a trace.

I like that kind of war: Clean, quiet, casualty-free. Congratulations to George W. Bush?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Mathnomalous said:
According to Ed Barnes reporting for FoxNews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/26/secret-agent-crippled-irans-nuclear-ambitions/

I like that kind of war: Clean, quiet, casualty-free. Congratulations to George W. Bush?

Bush only knows Java.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathnomalous said:
AI like that kind of war: Clean, quiet, casualty-free. Congratulations to George W. Bush?
Possibly a dangerous one to start.
Who would suffer more if computers controlling power stations, air traffic control, subways, chemical plants etc all suffered breakdowns due to a computer worm launched undetectably from an unidentified enemy on the other side of the world?
Normally superpowers tend to prefer that wars be fought on their terms - with nice expensive fleets of things in uniform

Stuxnet is an incredibly advanced, undetectable computer worm that took years to construct
Odd that anyone would assume it was the product of a government IT project!

What's interesting is that the virus was tailed specifically to attack the control systems which use the Siemens Step 7 software suite. It can't possibly just be a fluke virus; S7 is for industrial equipment. Crazy.

FlexGunship said:
What's interesting is that the virus was tailed specifically to attack the control systems which use the Siemens Step 7 software suite. It can't possibly just be a fluke virus; S7 is for industrial equipment. Crazy.

Haha, that puts about 10% of my projects in jeopardy!

[actually, about 30% for last year]

I can't wait to tell the guys at Rockwell. "Use Rockwell or the Government might take you out!" :rofl: I'm tempted to call the Siemens group and ask for anti-virus protection.

Last edited:
They should have bought Macs.

CONFIRMATION that the international campaign against Iran's nuclear program has made headway recently came from a seemingly unlikely source: Israel's intelligence chief. Last week, Meir Dagan, outgoing head of the Mossad intelligence agency, said that Iran could not now acquire a nuclear weapon before 2015, because of unspecified technical problems.

...An ingenious computer virus called Stuxnet may have put hundreds or even thousands of centrifuges used in uranium enrichment out of action...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/12/AR2011011205566.html

I was struck by the ad photo next to the story.

funnyman2_336x850.jpg

1. What is "Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program Crippled by Computer Worm"?

"Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program Crippled by Computer Worm" refers to an event in which a computer virus, known as Stuxnet, was used to target and disrupt Iran's nuclear program. This attack was first discovered in 2010 and is believed to have caused significant damage to Iran's nuclear facilities.

2. How did the Stuxnet virus specifically target Iran's nuclear program?

The Stuxnet virus was designed to target specific industrial control systems, known as SCADA systems, that are used in nuclear facilities. It specifically targeted Iran's nuclear program by exploiting vulnerabilities in their SCADA systems, causing physical damage to their centrifuges and other equipment.

3. Who is believed to be responsible for the Stuxnet attack on Iran's nuclear program?

While the origin of the Stuxnet attack has not been officially confirmed, it is widely believed that the United States and Israel were behind it. This belief is based on the complexity and sophistication of the virus, as well as reports from anonymous government officials.

4. Has the Stuxnet virus been used in other attacks?

Yes, the Stuxnet virus has been used in other attacks on industrial control systems in different countries, but its primary target was the Iranian nuclear program. It has also been used by other countries as a blueprint for creating similar cyber weapons.

5. What are the potential implications of the Stuxnet attack on Iran's nuclear program?

The Stuxnet attack has raised concerns about the use of cyber warfare and the potential for future attacks on critical infrastructure. It has also highlighted the vulnerability of industrial control systems and the need for increased security measures. Additionally, the attack has significantly set back Iran's nuclear program and may have contributed to their decision to enter into negotiations with other countries regarding their nuclear capabilities.