Using a ramp decreases work?

• Thread starter missmallyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp Work
In summary, a ramp makes it easier to move a heavy object a certain distance by reducing the amount of force required.
missmallyb
If one were asked, "How does a ramp make it easier to move a heavy object a certain distance?" Would you answer with
a. by changing the direction in which the object move
b. by decreasing the amount of work required to move the object
c. by decreasing the distance the object moves
d. by decreasing the amount of force required to move the object

I said "Decreasing the amount of force required to move the object" but it's incorrect. The correct answer is B, "Decreasing the amount of work required to move the object"
Can someone explain to me why my first answer was wrong?

Thanks,
-Mally

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a crap question, to me. A ramp increases the mechanical advantage that aids you in doing whatever you're doing. That is why a screw is such an engineering marvel... it's an endless ramp. It does come down to work, but it doesn't make it easier; it merely spreads it over time. No matter what mechanism is involved, you are never going to get off easily. You can't violate Thermodynamics.

I'd say your answer is correct. The purpose of a ramp is allow you to raise a heavy object using less force than you would if you just lifted it directly. The work done is the same.

I'd also say that moving a heavy object 'a certain distance' is ambiguous wording. The point is to lift the object, not just move it some distance.

missmallyb said:
If one were asked, "How does a ramp make it easier to move a heavy object a certain distance?" Would you answer with
a. by changing the direction in which the object move
b. by decreasing the amount of work required to move the object
c. by decreasing the distance the object moves
d. by decreasing the amount of force required to move the object

I said "Decreasing the amount of force required to move the object" but it's incorrect. The correct answer is B, "Decreasing the amount of work required to move the object"
Can someone explain to me why my first answer was wrong?

Thanks,
-Mally

I would have answered the same as you. The ramp let's you use less force, but applied over a longer distance compared to straight lifting the object.

Is there a figure that goes with this question? I wonder if the ramp arrangement that they have in mind is different in some way. Are they talking about the work to lift an object up some height, and is the ramp assumed to be frictionless?

Your first answer, "Decreasing the amount of force required to move the object," is incorrect because it does not fully address the question. While a ramp does decrease the amount of force required to move an object, this is not the main reason why using a ramp makes it easier to move a heavy object a certain distance.

The correct answer, B, "Decreasing the amount of work required to move the object," takes into account both the force and the distance required to move the object. A ramp decreases the amount of work required because it allows the force to be spread out over a longer distance, making it easier to move the object. This is also known as the principle of mechanical advantage.

In contrast, your first answer only addresses the force aspect and does not consider the distance. So while it is not entirely incorrect, it is not a complete answer to the question.

What is a ramp?

A ramp is a simple machine that is used to raise or lower objects from one level to another. It is a sloping surface that is inclined at an angle, allowing for an easier and more efficient way to move objects.

How does using a ramp decrease work?

Using a ramp decreases work by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object from one level to another. This is due to the fact that the ramp provides a longer distance for the object to travel, which allows for a smaller amount of force to be used over a greater distance.

What is the relationship between a ramp and work?

The relationship between a ramp and work is that the ramp reduces the amount of work needed to move an object by spreading it out over a longer distance. This results in a smaller amount of force being required to move the object, making the task easier and more efficient.

Why is using a ramp considered a simple machine?

Using a ramp is considered a simple machine because it only has one moving part and it makes work easier by changing the direction or amount of force needed to move an object. Simple machines are often used to perform tasks that would be difficult or impossible to do without them.

What are some real-life examples of using a ramp to decrease work?

Some real-life examples of using a ramp to decrease work include using a ramp to move heavy objects into a truck, using a wheelchair ramp to make it easier for people to access buildings, and using a ramp to load heavy luggage onto a plane. Ramps are also commonly used in construction to move building materials to higher levels.