Bachelors in Computer Engineering, Masters in Software Engineering?

In summary, the individual is a college freshman majoring in Computer Engineering. They plan to pursue a Masters in Software Engineering after obtaining their Bachelors degree. They are unsure if this is possible since their Bachelors is in Computer Engineering, but they plan to take Software Engineering classes as electives in their junior or senior year. They have received an A in C++ programming and are considering taking a data structures course to further prepare for a Masters in Software Engineering. They also plan to speak with their advisor for guidance on their career goals.
Ivan92
Im college freshman and majoring in Computer Engineering. After I get my Bachelors degree, I want to go to grad school and get my Masters in Software Engineering. Even though I got my Bachelors in Computer Engineering, can I still get my Masters in Software Engineering? I am going to take some Software Engineering classes as an elective later when I am a Junior or Senior. So is this possible? Or would I have to get my Masters in Computer Engineering? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. The strong software engineering background will help, but most schools will probably be happy if you've gotten decent grades in your CS classes. Just make sure you've taken the courses they require - most everybody posts it somewhere on their website.

I got an A in C++ programming. Thats the only CS course I have taken. That is something I have to look at to see which classes I would need prior to qualifying for a Masters in Software Engineering.

I'd recommend taking a data structures course. If you have other electives to "burn", you could talk to an advisor in your department and/or the CS department to discuss which courses would benefit your major (and career goals).

I am required to take that course either Summer or Fall. Reason fall is because I do not know as of now if they would it during the summer. Also, that is not a bad idea about talking to my advisor about my goals, he could guide me to the right direction. Thanks.

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and a Master's in Software Engineering?

A Bachelor's in Computer Engineering focuses on the foundational concepts and principles of computer hardware and software, while a Master's in Software Engineering delves deeper into the design, development, and management of complex software systems.

2. Can I pursue a Master's in Software Engineering with a Bachelor's in a different field?

Yes, most Master's in Software Engineering programs do not require a Bachelor's in a specific field. However, some programs may require prerequisite coursework in computer science or related subjects.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and a Master's in Software Engineering?

Graduates with these qualifications can pursue careers as software engineers, software developers, systems analysts, computer network architects, and more. They can also work in a variety of industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, and government.

4. How long does it typically take to complete both a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and a Master's in Software Engineering?

It typically takes four years to complete a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and an additional two years to complete a Master's in Software Engineering. However, the duration may vary depending on the program and the student's course load.

5. What skills will I gain from completing a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and a Master's in Software Engineering?

Graduates will gain skills in programming, software development, system design and analysis, database management, and project management. They will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are essential in the field of software engineering.