What are the practical applications of growth and decay functions?

In summary, this person does not know how to use the growth and decay functions, and they are not useful in everyday life.
Poweranimals
Does anyone know how to use the growth and decay functions? How would any of these be useful in everyday life?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do YOU mean with "growth and decay" functions?

Are you referring to exponential growth and decay ?

Also, what do you mean by "everyday life" ? My everyday life involves doing physics, so yes, such functions are useful in my everyday life.

Gokul43201 said:
Are you referring to exponential growth and decay ?
Yeah. Sorry for not specifying.

Is this homework ? I can't imagine that someone would ask you a question like this !

Not only is it ill-defined, it serve any purpose to have someone answer such a question.

If you have a more specific question, ask it.

Gokul43201 said:
Is this homework ? I can't imagine that someone would ask you a question like this !

Not only is it ill-defined, it serve any purpose to have someone answer such a question.

If you have a more specific question, ask it.
This is the Homework helpzone, isn't it? Here is the question: Can you think of a growth or decay function that you encounter in your work or in your personal life? It's for a report I'm doing for College Math. I don't really have anything to go on at the moment.

Try to look into how banks calculate interests on your money.
Is that "useful" enough?

Maybe if I had a better understanding how the functions work, it'd be more helpful.

Simply put, an exponential growth is seen by anything that grows are a steady rate, say, 5% per year, for example.

(Yes, it might seem counter-intuitive that steady and exponential growth are the same thing.)

Exponenetial decay is seen in chemical reactions, radioactivity, electronic circuits, etc. Look these up to see how they apply.

Here are the formulas that describe these :

Growth : [itex] A = A_0 r^{(t/T)} + B_0 [/itex]

Decay : [itex] A = A_0 r^{-(t/T)} + B_0 [/itex]

In ideal problems (such as uninhibited population growth) can be modeled by exponential functions as well as interest, the decay of atoms per mol of a substance at a certain time or the concentration of a solution that contains an initial concentration but has flowing water through it. They're all pretty ideal though just to stress that.

What are growth and decay functions?

Growth and decay functions are mathematical models that describe how a quantity changes over time. They are commonly used in science to represent processes such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions.

What is the difference between growth and decay functions?

The main difference between growth and decay functions is the direction in which the quantity changes. In growth functions, the quantity increases over time, while in decay functions, the quantity decreases over time.

What are some real-life examples of growth and decay functions?

Some examples of growth functions include the growth of plant populations, the spread of diseases, and the accumulation of interest on a bank account. Examples of decay functions include the decay of radioactive substances, the cooling of a hot object, and the decrease in population size due to natural disasters.

How do you determine the growth or decay rate in a function?

The growth or decay rate in a function is determined by the coefficient of the exponential term. This coefficient represents the percentage change in the quantity per unit of time. For example, a growth function with a coefficient of 0.05 would have a growth rate of 5% per unit of time.

How can growth and decay functions be used to make predictions?

By analyzing growth and decay functions, scientists can make predictions about how a quantity will change over time. This can be useful in making decisions and planning for the future, such as predicting future population sizes or the amount of time it will take for a substance to decay to a certain level.