F is a field, prove congruence defines an equivalence relation?

In summary: Other than that, your proof is clear and logical. Keep up the good work!In summary, congruence modulo p(x) defines an equivalence relation on F[x], which means that a(x)=a(x) (mod p(x)) for any a(x) in F[x]. This is similar to the definition of an equivalence relation on integers, which states that a relation is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. The proof for this equivalence relation on F[x] involves using algebraic manipulation to show that a~a, a~b, and a~c hold for any a(x), b(x), and c(x) in F[x]. While this proof could be more concise, it is clear and logical in its current
kathrynag
Let F be a field. Given p(x) in F[x], prove that congrence modulo p(x) defines an equivalence relation on F[x].

congruence modulo p(x) means a(x)=b(x) (mod p(x)) for a(x), b(x) in F[x].
Well, I know an equivalence relation on the integers means:
a~a
if a~b then b~a
if a~b and b~c, then a~c

First show a~a
a(x)=a(x)(mod p(x))
a(x) always is equivalent to itself

Next show b~a
Assume a~b
Then a(x)=b(x)(mod p(x)
We have p(x)|(a(x)-b(x)
Then a(x)-b(x)=s(x)p(x)
S0 a(x)-s(x)p(x)=b(x)
or b(x)-a(x)=-s(x)p(x)
then b~a

Next show a~c
Assume a~b and b~c
So p(x)|a(x)-b(x) and p(x)=b(x)-c(x)
So a(x)-b(x)=p(x)s(x) and b(x)-c(x)=p(x)r(x)
We can say b(x)=p(x)r(x)+c(x)
So we have a(x)-[p(x)r(x)+c(x)]=p(x)s(x)
a(x)-c(x)=p(x)s(x)+p(x)r(x)
a(x)-c(x)=p(x)[s(x)+r(x)]
So a~c

I was just wondering if someone could look this over?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand the concept but I'm not sure this is a correct proof, or if there are any errors or areas that need improvement.Your proof looks good! The only suggestion I have is to make it more concise by using more algebraic manipulation to plug in values from one step to another. For example, when you show that b~a, you can combine the first two equations to get b(x) = a(x) - s(x)p(x). This way, you don't have to restate the same equation over and over again.

What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of numbers and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples of fields include real numbers, rational numbers, and complex numbers.

What is congruence?

Congruence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two objects that have the same size and shape. In the context of fields, congruence refers to the idea that two elements are equivalent or equal in some way.

How does congruence define an equivalence relation?

In order for a mathematical concept to be considered an equivalence relation, it must satisfy three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Congruence satisfies all three of these properties, meaning that it is a valid equivalence relation.

What does it mean for two elements to be congruent in a field?

If two elements, a and b, are congruent in a field, it means that they are equivalent or equal in some way. This could be in terms of their numerical value or their properties within the field.

How is congruence used in fields?

Congruence is an important concept in fields because it allows us to compare and equate different elements within the field. It also helps us to prove and solve mathematical equations and problems using the properties of congruence.