Most exciting areas of research in Physics?

In summary, there are a lot of exciting possibilities for research in Physics based on the work being done at the Large Hadron Collider, and many potential applications.
TrustInsight
Hi Everybody,

I have two questions, please share your opinions being as specific as possible.

1. Which fields of research in Physics do you consider to be most exciting and interesting?

2. Which fields of research in Physics do you consider to be most useful or applicable in industries, companies, government or research labs?

Thanks.

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
all

all

Likes jamalkoiyess
1. Quantum Field Theory
2. Nuclear weapons research.

Biology

1. Condensed Matter Physics/High Energy Physics/Bio-engineering/Quantum Computing
2. Condensed Matter Physics/Plasma Physics/ Quantum Computing/Bioengineering (There's too many!)

TrustInsight said:
1. Which fields of research in Physics do you consider to be most exciting and interesting?
Definitely LHC@CERN. There is a widespread consensus that this facility has the potential to trigger revolutions in our fundamental conceptions of space-time at very high-energy. A speculation concerns additional ordinary spatial dimensions. But what is often overlooked is that supersymmetry amounts to the addition of qualitatively different dimensions to space-time, dimensions which we could call fermionic. Even if supersymmetry is not found, we have the certainty that LHC@CERN will tell us about electroweak symmetry breaking, therefore testing models beyond the standard model of particle physics.

pythagorean said:
biology

i lol'd

humanino said:
Definitely LHC@CERN. There is a widespread consensus that this facility has the potential to trigger revolutions in our fundamental conceptions of space-time at very high-energy.

I'm sure it happens all the time, but we don't notice, for the moment our alternative reality is created, we loose all touch with the original, if it even continues to exist.

Well, that's one theory, anyway...

mugaliens said:
I'm sure it happens all the time, but we don't notice, for the moment our alternative reality is created, we loose all touch with the original, if it even continues to exist.
I am unsure that I understand what you mean. The standard model of particle physics is now half a century old. Besides a couple of tweaks here and there (like neutrino masses and the cosmological constant), there was no major revolution in fundamental physics since then. There were quite a few speculative proposals and mathematical breakthrough related to fundamental physics, but no confirmed result. It does not happen all the time that we switch on a machine which the physics community has been awaiting for two or three decades.

glueball8 said:
i lol'd
I don't believe that was meant to be lol'd at. The physics of biological systems is a super-interesting and very fresh field with plenty of discoveries to be made, and it's of relevance to potential medium-term applications.

:uhh: I was kidding... :yuck:

humanino said:
I am unsure that I understand what you mean. The standard model of particle physics is now half a century old.

What in the world does "half a century" have to do with the fact that half the time I decide to take a dump in my toilet, and half the time I decide to take a dump in the toilet in my son's room?

Each choice sets a very similar, but different set of things in motion.

mugaliens said:
Each choice sets a very similar, but different set of things in motion.
I am talking about measurable importance in fundamental physics, as you can see for yourself from spires for instance. It concerns what professional physicists publish about. I still have no idea what you are talking about.

humanino said:
I still have no idea what you are talking about.

You know, sometimes I feel the same way... :)

mugaliens said:
What in the world does "half a century" have to do with the fact that half the time I decide to take a dump in my toilet, and half the time I decide to take a dump in the toilet in my son's room?
humanino said:
I still have no idea what you are talking about.

humanino, you have my sympathies. Look up b*llsh*t in the dictionary and I’m sure it all will become clear.

(:biggrin:)

TrustInsight, I’m not an expert, but as an advice from 'Life in General' – Choose the field that you find most interesting!

If this is possible: You’ll go laughing to work, you’ll be more creative, you’ll be more successful, etc, etc, and when you get older you won’t be asking the 'annoying question':

– Why the h*ll didn’t I follow my heart...!?

(If you are just looking for "money & fame", then you should maybe look for another occupation...)

Yeah, was serious about biology.

Though, I can't argue with humanino that we have very interesting (and potentially paradigm shifting) things going on at CERN right now. I've been anxious to hear some results ever since they were first scheduled to go online.

1. What are some current areas of research in Physics?

Some of the most exciting areas of research in Physics currently include quantum computing, dark matter, gravitational waves, and nanotechnology.

2. How does quantum computing work?

Quantum computing utilizes quantum bits, or qubits, which have the ability to exist in multiple states at the same time. This allows for the processing of large amounts of information simultaneously, making quantum computers faster and more powerful than traditional computers.

3. What is dark matter and why is it important?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and has not been directly observed. It makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe and is important because it helps explain the structure and behavior of galaxies and the overall expansion of the universe.

4. What are gravitational waves and how do they affect our understanding of the universe?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were recently detected for the first time in 2015. The study of gravitational waves allows us to observe and understand cosmic events that were previously inaccessible, such as the merger of black holes.

5. How is nanotechnology being used in Physics research?

Nanotechnology is the manipulation of matter on an atomic and molecular scale. In Physics research, nanotechnology is being used to create new materials with unique properties, such as superconductors, and to develop tools for studying and manipulating particles at the nanoscale. It has also shown promising applications in fields such as energy, medicine, and electronics.