Flux linkage vs. flux, Faraday's/Lenz's Law

In summary, Faraday's/Lenz's law states that v(t) = d(lambda)/dt, where v(t) is voltage and lambda is flux linkage. To find lambda, we can use the equation phi = surface integral of (dot product of B and dA), where dA is area and B is flux density. Flux linkage is the total flux that passes through a given loop, while flux is the total amount of "flow" passing through a surface. The equation for flux is the surface integral of the dot product of B and dA, where B is the magnetic flux density and dA is the area element.
sweetpotato

Homework Statement

In my power engineering class we've been going over basic electromagnetism. I need some help understanding Faraday's/Lenz's law.

As far as I understand, it is v(t) = d(lambda)/dt where v(t) is voltage and lambda is flux linkage.

My question is, how do I find lambda/what is another equation I can use to find lambda? Also, how is flux linkage different from flux? According to Wikipedia and my class notes, the equations for flux linkage and for flux are the same, namely:

phi = surface integral of (dot product of B and dA)

where dA is area and B is flux density.

Homework Equations

Please see above

The Attempt at a Solution

Read class notes and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_linkage , still confused

Physics news on Phys.org
. Flux linkage is the total flux that passes through a given loop. It is the total flux that links with the coil, which is related to the potential difference induced in the coil. Flux is the total amount of "flow" passing through a surface. In this case, it is the total magnetic "flow" or number of magnetic field lines passing through a surface. The equation for flux is simply the surface integral of the dot product of B and dA, where B is the magnetic flux density and dA is the area element.

What is flux linkage and how does it differ from flux?

Flux linkage is a measure of the total magnetic flux passing through a given coil or circuit. It takes into account the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnetic field. Flux, on the other hand, is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It does not take into account the number of turns in the coil.

What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to flux linkage?

Faraday's Law states that when there is a change in magnetic flux passing through a circuit, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in the circuit. This EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of flux linkage. In other words, the greater the change in flux linkage, the greater the induced EMF.

What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law and states that the direction of the induced EMF will always be such as to oppose the change that caused it. This means that if the flux linkage is increasing, the induced EMF will be in the opposite direction to the change in flux, and vice versa. Lenz's Law helps to explain why electromagnetic induction occurs.

How is flux linkage affected by the number of turns in a coil?

The number of turns in a coil is directly proportional to the flux linkage. This means that increasing the number of turns in a coil will increase the flux linkage, and vice versa. This is because more turns in a coil will result in a stronger magnetic field passing through the coil, thus increasing the flux linkage.

What is the practical application of understanding flux linkage and Faraday's/Lenz's Law?

Understanding flux linkage and Faraday's/Lenz's Law is crucial in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and technology. These principles are the basis of electromagnetic induction, which is used in generators, transformers, motors, and other devices. They also play a role in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields and electric currents.