Projectile Motion - Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a motorbike stunt. The person needs to find the speed the rider must have in order to successfully jump over a 4m wall from a ramp placed 10m away. They mention needing to use uniform motion equations and splitting into horizontal and vertical components. They also ask for clarification on the angle of the ramp.
SteveJW
Good Afternoon, wondering if I could get some assistance. I'm not formally learning physics its just an interest I have, and try to complete problems during my spare time.

I have one particuar question that I'm stumped with, so any help would be great!

Q: You are asked by a film director to organise a stunt scene in which a motorbike mounts a ramp before safely jumping a wall. The wall is 4m high and the end of the ramp is 0.5m high and placed 10m back from the wall. What is the speed the stunt rider must drive off the ramp in order to jump the wall?

I understand that I need to split into horizontal and vertical components(?) then use uniform motion equation to get time taken and ultimately the initial velocity? Is this correct?

Kind regards

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the angle of the ramp

it doesn't say, but would I be correct in saying that Tan<x>3.5/10?

Sorry, should have said...tanx=3.5/10.

As I say l, any help is appreciated

Hello Steve,

Thank you for reaching out. It's great that you have an interest in physics and are trying to solve problems on your own. I'd be happy to assist you with your question on projectile motion.

First, you are correct in your approach of splitting the motion into horizontal and vertical components. This is known as vector decomposition and it is a fundamental concept in projectile motion.

To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion for projectile motion. The initial velocity (u) of the motorbike can be found by using the equation:

u = √(2gh)

Where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and h is the height of the ramp (0.5 m). Plugging in these values, we get:

u = √(2*9.8*0.5) = 3.13 m/s

This is the initial velocity of the motorbike as it leaves the ramp. Now, we can use the range equation to find the speed (v) at which the motorbike must leave the ramp in order to clear the 4m high wall. The range equation is given by:

R = (v²sin2θ)/g

Where R is the range (10 m in this case), θ is the angle of projection (which we can assume to be 45° for maximum range), and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plugging in the values, we get:

10 = (v²sin90)/9.8

Solving for v, we get:

v = √(10*9.8) = 9.9 m/s

Therefore, the speed at which the stunt rider must drive off the ramp is 9.9 m/s.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of projectile motion and how to apply it to solve problems. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that consists of two components: horizontal motion and vertical motion.

2. What is initial velocity in projectile motion?

Initial velocity in projectile motion is the velocity at which the object is launched or thrown. It is the speed and direction at which the object begins its motion.

3. How is initial velocity calculated in projectile motion?

To calculate the initial velocity in projectile motion, you need to know the horizontal and vertical displacement of the object, the time it takes to complete its motion, and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the equations of motion to solve for the initial velocity.

4. Does initial velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Yes, initial velocity plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of a projectile. The direction and magnitude of the initial velocity determine the angle and speed at which the object will travel, ultimately affecting its trajectory.

5. Can initial velocity be changed during projectile motion?

Yes, initial velocity can be changed during projectile motion. This can be achieved by applying external forces, such as thrust or drag, to the object in motion. These forces can alter the object's speed and direction, thus changing its initial velocity.