Puzzle of scalar dynamic in the early universe

In summary: I think this is what he is trying to say. In summary, the equation of motion for a decoupled scalar field is \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2}+3H\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}+m_\phi^2 \phi = 0. When applying the energy operator i\frac{\partial}{\partial t} to the field, what we get is E=m_\phi. Including all couplings between the scalar field and other matter sectors of the theory will give the total energy a dependence on these other fields.
Accidently
Sometimes we need to calculate the evolution of the scalar field [tex]\phi[/tex] with the equation of motion
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2}+3H\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}+m_\phi^2 \phi = 0[/tex].
And we can get the field
[tex]\phi=Ae^{im_\phi t}[/tex]
where A is the amplitude of the scalar field (damped by the Hubble parameter in this case).

But when we apply the energy operator [tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/tex] on the field, what we get is [tex]E=m_\phi[/tex]
This is incorrect. And it seems that we should include the energy/temperature of the universe somewhere, but do not know how.

Space news on Phys.org
The equation you are studying is that of a decoupled scalar field -- i.e. it is not interacting with anything in the universe other than gravity. As far as this system is concerned, all the energy in the universe is contained in the scalar field matter. Strictly speaking, you should be calculating the stress-energy tensor of the scalar field (or its quantum expectation value) to answer this question to get at the energy of the system.

More realistically, you will want to include all couplings between the scalar field and other matter sectors of the theory -- then you will see a dependence of the total energy on these other matter fields.

bapowell said:
The equation you are studying is that of a decoupled scalar field -- i.e. it is not interacting with anything in the universe other than gravity. As far as this system is concerned, all the energy in the universe is contained in the scalar field matter. Strictly speaking, you should be calculating the stress-energy tensor of the scalar field (or its quantum expectation value) to answer this question to get at the energy of the system.

More realistically, you will want to include all couplings between the scalar field and other matter sectors of the theory -- then you will see a dependence of the total energy on these other matter fields.
I think what he means is that this field should not only contain the mass term, but also a kinetic energy term.

I'd also like to mention, however, that any second-order linear differential equation has two solutions, so you need a second solution to get the correct motion of the field. Accidentally, you might also do better at understanding the energy of the particle by using the Hamiltonian operator.

Chalnoth said:
I think what he means is that this field should not only contain the mass term, but also a kinetic energy term.
I see. Consider calculating the [tex]T_{00}[/itex] component of the stress-energy tensor -- this gives you the energy density, [itex]\rho[/itex], of the gravitating stress-energy content of the universe. With scalar field matter, you find
[tex]\rho = \frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}^2 + V(\phi)[/itex]
where the first term is the kinetic energy, and [itex]V(\phi) = m^2\phi^2[/itex] for a polynomial potential energy function.

If you have other relevant fields in the theory, including any couplings between them, they will also contribute to the overall energy density.

Chalnoth said:

I'd also like to mention, however, that any second-order linear differential equation has two solutions, so you need a second solution to get the correct motion of the field. Accidentally, you might also do better at understanding the energy of the particle by using the Hamiltonian operator.

Yes, that is exact what I mean. I know I oversimplified too many things here. I just mean for a stable scalar field, the solution should look like that.

Accidently said:
Yes, that is exact what I mean. I know I oversimplified too many things here. I just mean for a stable scalar field, the solution should look like that.
That's what I thought. The problem here is that the time derivative of the scalar field is just a constant times the scalar field, so that your sum of the kinetic and potential energy terms can be wrapped back into a constant multiple of the field itself (in fact, this is necessarily the case as long as it's in an energy eigenstate). I think that is what is hiding the kinetic energy component in the way you're approaching it.

To get the kinetic energy component explicitly, just use the Hamiltonian operator instead of the time derivative. You should be able to both verify that the kinetic energy term is there, and that it reduces to the simple time derivative when evaluated (that is, you should be able to replicate what bapowell posted above).

bapowell said:
[tex]\rho = \frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}^2 + V(\phi)[/itex]
Yes, this makes sense.

So, if we write the scalar field as
[tex]\phi=Ae^{-iat}[/tex],
it is not necessary to say [tex]a=E[/tex] or [tex]a=T[/tex], with [tex]E[/tex] and [tex]T[/tex] the energy of the field and the temperature of the universe, (if the field is in equilibrium). Is this right?

Thanks for all your replies.

Looking back at your initial post, I'm confused by your assertion that [itex]\phi = Ae^{imt}[/itex] is a solution to the scalar field EOM. It isn't, because of the Hubble term. The Hubble term is itself a function of [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex].

bapowell said:
Looking back at your initial post, I'm confused by your assertion that [itex]\phi = Ae^{imt}[/itex] is a solution to the scalar field EOM. It isn't, because of the Hubble term. The Hubble term is itself a function of [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex].

I think the Hubble parameter acts as a damping factor in the amplitude. And we can separate [tex]e^{imt}[/itex] in the solution. for example eq. (7.9.2) and (7.9.3) in hep-th/0503203

Accidently said:
I think the Hubble parameter acts as a damping factor in the amplitude. And we can separate [tex]e^{imt}[/itex] in the solution. for example eq. (7.9.2) and (7.9.3) in hep-th/0503203
OK, but then when you apply [itex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] to the field how is it that you can ignore the time-dependent amplitude?

bapowell said:
OK, but then when you apply [itex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] to the field how is it that you can ignore the time-dependent amplitude?

I know, I have assumed that the Hubble parameter is small and neglectable. I should have said that. sorry. I think even with the Hubble parameter in the field, we still cannot get a correct energy, so ignored that...

1. What is the puzzle of scalar dynamics in the early universe?

The puzzle of scalar dynamics in the early universe refers to the problem of understanding the behavior of scalar fields in the first moments after the Big Bang. Scalar fields are hypothetical fields that exist in space and time and are thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe. However, their exact role and behavior in the early universe are still not fully understood.

2. Why is the puzzle of scalar dynamics important?

The puzzle of scalar dynamics is important because it is closely related to the fundamental question of how the universe evolved and expanded in its early stages. Understanding the behavior of scalar fields can also help us to better understand other phenomena, such as the production of matter and the formation of galaxies.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the puzzle of scalar dynamics?

Some proposed solutions to the puzzle of scalar dynamics include theories that involve multiple scalar fields, modified gravity theories, and theories that incorporate inflation (a period of rapid expansion) in the early universe. However, none of these solutions have been definitively proven and the puzzle remains a topic of ongoing research and debate.

4. How do scientists study the puzzle of scalar dynamics?

Scientists study the puzzle of scalar dynamics through a combination of theoretical models, computer simulations, and observations of the universe. They also conduct experiments using particle accelerators to try to recreate the conditions of the early universe and test different theories.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the puzzle of scalar dynamics?

If we are able to solve the puzzle of scalar dynamics, it could significantly advance our understanding of the early universe and help us to fill in gaps in our current understanding of the universe's evolution. It could also have practical implications, such as providing insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy.