How can I rearrange this equation to make dx the focus?

• Thread starter Tawaffles
  • Start date
In summary, the equation shown is being rearranged to solve for dx as the focus. The steps involve isolating dx on one side and using trigonometric functions to solve for it.
Tawaffles
Hi,

First off, I am not doing a course in physics or maths so excuse me if this is a very basic question. I have the following equation (see attached) and I am trying to make dx the focus, ie:

dx = XYZ

Would anyone mind taking the time to help me do this?

Regards,

James

Attachments

• schmit2.jpg
    schmit2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone check this:

[tex] V_{C} = \frac{ V_{SE}}{2} ( 1 - \cos(x)) + \frac{V_{SC}}{2} ( 1 - \cos(x-dx)) + V_{DC} [/tex]

[tex] V_{C} - V_{DC} - \frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x))) = \frac{V_{SC}}{2}(1 - \cos(x-dx)) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{C} - V_{DC} - \frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x))) ) = 1 - \cos(x-dx) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{C} - V_{DC} - \frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x))) ) - 1 = - \cos(x-dx) [/tex]

[tex] \cos(x-dx) = -\frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{C} - V_{DC} - \frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x))) ) + 1 [/tex]

[tex] \cos(x-dx) = \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( -V_{C} + V_{DC} +\frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x))) ) + 1 [/tex]

[tex] \cos(x-dx) = \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{DC} -+\frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x)))- V_{C} ) + 1 [/tex]

[tex] x - dx = \arccos( \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{DC} -+\frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x)))- V_{C} ) + 1 ) [/tex]

[tex] -dx = -x + \arccos( \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{DC} -+\frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x)))- V_{C} ) + 1 ) [/tex]

[tex] dx = x - \arccos( \frac{2}{V_{SC}} ( V_{DC} -+\frac{ V_{SE}}{2} (1 - \cos(x)))- V_{C} ) + 1 ) [/tex]

1. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

Rearranging an equation allows us to isolate a specific variable or term in order to solve for it. This can make solving complex equations much easier and can also help us understand the relationship between different variables.

2. How do you know when to rearrange an equation?

You may need to rearrange an equation if you are trying to solve for a specific variable or if the equation is in a form that is difficult to work with. This can also be useful for manipulating equations to fit a specific format or to simplify the problem.

3. What are the steps for rearranging an equation?

The first step is to identify the variable you want to solve for. Then, use algebraic properties and operations to isolate that variable on one side of the equation. Be sure to perform the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain balance. Finally, simplify the equation to find the value of the variable.

4. Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Rearranging equations is most commonly used for linear equations, but it can also be applied to quadratic, exponential, and other types of equations. However, some equations may not be able to be rearranged or may require more complex methods to solve.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for rearranging equations?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines to follow when rearranging equations. For example, you should always maintain balance by performing the same operation to both sides of the equation. You should also be careful with negative signs and fractions, and be aware of any restrictions on the variables in the equation.