Equivalent Pressure Washing Tests

In summary, the person is trying to figure out if they can use a regular pressure washer to mimic the conditions of 85 gpm through a 5/8" nozzle at 75gpm. They are looking for help in justifying their calculations and determining if it is possible to simulate the desired conditions with the equipment they have. They are also unsure if they should be focusing on pressure drop through the system or the impact of the water jet on material/dirt.
ddelaiarro
I have a washdown spec for a unit we are designing. We need to be able to withstand a maximum of 85 gpm through a 5/8" nozzle at 75gpm. Now, I don't have access to equipment that can mimic that scenario.

What I'm wondering if can I use my average, run-of-the-mill, garden-variety pressure washer (rated at 2500psi) to mimic that test?

I'm looking at needing about 14gpm through that setup (based on calculations from http://books.google.com/books?id=_7...resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false").

Can someone help me justify that calculation? I'm at a loss here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi ddelaiarro, I'm not clear on what you're looking for. Do you want to verify the pressure drop of water through a nozzle? Or perhaps through a pipe? Or both? If so, what flow and what diameter pipe/nozzle? Please be as specific as possible.

What I'm really trying to do is figure out if there is a way to mimic a volumetric flow rate and pressure combination to another volumetric flow rate and pressure combination.

So, for instance, I can't create the ideal situation of 85psi and 75gpm, but I'm wondering if A) a solution at 2500psi and some VFR would be an equivalent 'experience' to our module and, if so, B) how do I calculate the correct pressure/VFR combination.

Basically, I want to simulate the environment of 85psi/75gpm with the equipment I have at my disposal (a household pressure washer capable of 2500psi) - I don't even know if that's possible. My gut tells me no, but I can't mathematically prove myself right or wrong.

What are you trying to duplicate? The pressure drop through the system or the affect of aiming a high pressure water jet at something to remove material/dirt? If the former, it's easy enough to do the calculations on pressure drop through piping. You can find a manual that explains the basics https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830". If you're trying to duplicate the affect of a high pressure water jet, then having a water jet with the same pressure going in is sufficient to get the same velocity. It may not be as effective simply because it doesn't cover the same area, but I'd think it should give you a very good idea of how effective a water jet having some given inlet pressure should work at removing material or debris. I don't think reducing the nozzle inlet pressure and comparing a high flow, low pressure nozzle to a low flow, high pressure nozzle is reasonable. The ability to remove debris is going to be a function of the impact velocity of the water which is only a function of nozzle inlet pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test?

The purpose of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test is to evaluate the cleaning effectiveness of a pressure washing system by comparing it to a standard or known pressure washing system. This test is used to determine the quality and efficiency of the pressure washing equipment being tested.

2. How is an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test performed?

An Equivalent Pressure Washing Test is typically performed by using a standardized surface, such as a concrete or metal panel, and running the pressure washer over it for a set amount of time and at a specific pressure. The surface is then inspected for any remaining dirt or debris to determine the cleaning effectiveness of the pressure washer.

3. What factors can affect the results of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test?

The results of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of surface being cleaned, the pressure and flow rate of the pressure washer, the angle and distance of the nozzle from the surface, and the cleaning solution being used. It is important to control these variables to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. How do I interpret the results of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test?

The results of an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test are typically measured in terms of cleaning effectiveness, which is the percentage of dirt or debris removed from the surface. A higher percentage indicates a more effective pressure washing system. The results can also be compared to industry standards or previous test results to determine the performance of the equipment being tested.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when performing an Equivalent Pressure Washing Test. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, when operating a pressure washer. The pressure washer should also be used in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes from the cleaning solution. Care should also be taken to avoid direct contact with the high-pressure water stream to prevent injury.