Magnetic force of two parallel wires is inverse proportional to distance?

In summary, the magnetic force between two parallel wires is calculated using the equation F=(u * I * I2)/(2pi * r), where r is the distance between the wires. The inverse law for the force is different in different dimensions, with 1D having a constant value, 2D following an inverse relationship with distance, and 3D following an inverse-square relationship with distance. This can be seen when considering two wires at different distances from each other, with the force between them following different patterns depending on their separation.
Physics news on Phys.org
Its right.

The inverse X laws are different in different dimensions. Two infinite parallel wires is a lot like a 2-D problem where its usually the "inverse-r" law.

ah that makes sense, thanks! 1d -> r; 2d -> 1/r; 3d -> 1/r`2

To complete your 3D understanding of this, imagine two wires 1km long separated by 1cm.

For these wires, as they are separated the force will go very nearly as 1/r. When they are about 1km apart it will not be 1/r or 1/r^2 but something in between. When they are a million km apart the force will go very nearly as 1/r^2.

(1D goes as a constant or 1/r^0)

Yes, according to the equation for the magnetic force between two parallel wires, the force is indeed inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. However, the equation also includes other variables such as the current in each wire and the permeability of free space (represented by u). So while the force may decrease as the distance increases, it is also affected by these other factors. Additionally, this equation assumes that the wires are infinitely long and have negligible thickness, which may not be the case in real-world situations. Therefore, it is important to consider all the variables and limitations when applying this equation to a specific scenario.

1. What is the magnetic force of two parallel wires?

The magnetic force of two parallel wires refers to the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two current-carrying wires that are placed parallel to each other. This force is caused by the interaction of the magnetic fields produced by the two wires.

2. How is the magnetic force between two parallel wires calculated?

The magnetic force between two parallel wires can be calculated using the formula F = μ0 * I1 * I2 * L / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between the magnetic force and the distance between the two wires?

The magnetic force between two parallel wires is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the wires decreases, the force between them increases, and vice versa. This relationship follows the inverse square law.

4. Can the magnetic force between two parallel wires be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the magnetic force between two parallel wires can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the direction of the currents in the wires. If the currents are in the same direction, the wires will experience an attractive force, and if the currents are in opposite directions, the wires will experience a repulsive force.

5. What factors affect the magnetic force between two parallel wires?

The magnetic force between two parallel wires is affected by the currents in the wires, the length of the wires, and the distance between them. Additionally, the magnetic permeability of the medium surrounding the wires can also affect the force. In a vacuum, the force is solely dependent on the permeability of free space.