Local to global transformation; end rotational displacments

In summary: DCM (direction cosine matrix) can be used to convert between local and global axes for rotations. It involves defining axes from a point of interest and making rotations until the desired axes are reached. This can be applied in the situation described, where global values are needed for imposed displacements and rotations on a pipe with a different local axis system. A sketch of the setup would be helpful for a more specific solution.
aa2105
Hi
I am analysing some piping which starts off as being aligned with the global axis system (X Y Z). So axially its X, laterally is Y and Z is vertically upwards. Due to bends etc. the end of the pipe is in a different orientation though still in the same plane - now the local axis system is x y z. However, the software I'm using can only accept global values. I need to impose displacements and rotations at the ends of the pipe. For displacements, this is easy - its simply the displacement multiplied by the cosine of the angle which the pipe makes (lets call it theta) with the global X-axis.

However, I am unsure what to do for rotations. Clearly, as the pipe remains in the same plane the Z axis and z axis will remain unchanged. But X and Y have been rotated by theta.

Now if I want to apply a 1.5deg rotation at the end about the local y and z axes - how can I get the equivalent rotation in global terms?

I hope this makes sense... if not I can add some more detail.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Adders

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you could provide some sort of sketch for your setup that would be helpful.

This sounds like a simple DCM (direction cosine matrix) problem, with angles as a function of angles. The easiest way to start is to define axes from your point of interest and make fundamental rotations until you get to your global axes.

Thanks for the early response - but are you sure one can apply the DCM for rotations?

I've attached a diagram anyhow.

Cheers.

A

Attachments

• Diagram.xls
    47.5 KB · Views: 262

1. What is local to global transformation and why is it important in the field of science?

Local to global transformation is the process of converting local coordinates to global coordinates. This is important in science because it allows us to accurately measure and analyze the movement and displacement of objects in 3-dimensional space.

2. How is end rotational displacement different from other types of displacements?

End rotational displacement refers to the angular movement of an object's end point, while other types of displacements typically refer to linear movement. End rotational displacements are important to consider in engineering and physics, as they can affect the stability and performance of structures.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of local to global transformation and end rotational displacements?

The accuracy of local to global transformation and end rotational displacements can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, sensor calibration, and external forces acting on the object.

4. How do scientists use local to global transformation and end rotational displacements in their research?

Scientists use local to global transformation and end rotational displacements in a variety of fields, including engineering, robotics, biomechanics, and geology. These concepts are essential for accurately analyzing and understanding the movement and behavior of objects in these fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of local to global transformation and end rotational displacements?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of local to global transformation and end rotational displacements. Some examples include designing stable structures, controlling the movement of robotic arms, and studying the motion of tectonic plates in geology.