Convergence of a series by root test

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a series, specifically the series (n+2)/(n+1) from 1 to infinity. The ratio test and root test were used to determine convergence, but Wolfram Alpha gave a different result. The nth term test for divergence was suggested as a simpler test to use, and it was concluded that the series does in fact diverge. The possibility of misunderstanding the nth term test was also mentioned.
train449

Homework Statement

Does the series:

sum from 1 to inf. (n+2)/(n+1)

converge? If so does it converge absolutely?

Homework Equations

Ratio test for series

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this series to converge using the root test, (.jpg attached) however wolfram alpha says otherwise.

Attachments

• ratiotest.jpg
    ratiotest.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work was fine until you said L=3/4. Remember n is going to infinity, so the constant and linear terms don't really matter.

I agree with wolframalpha.
A much simpler test to use is the nth term test for divergence.

AH Vela you're right. L=1 so the test is inconclusive. I tried the integral test and got infinty so it does diverge, thank you.

@Mark44 I'm not too sure what the nth term test is

The n-th term test is the first test you should always try on a series. It's also probably the first one you learned. It says if the terms don't go to 0 in the limit as n goes to infinity, the series diverges.

Of course! figures I would forget the most basic reasoning. Thank you Vela!

The Nth Term Test for Divergence is simple to use, but in my experience, is often misunderstood by students. If the limit of the nth term of a series isn't zero, the series diverges. This test tells you when a series diverges but it doesn't tell you when a series converges.

thank you, Mark44, I will make good use of it on my upcoming test!

What is the root test for convergence of a series?

The root test for convergence is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the nth root of the absolute value of each term in the series and then taking the limit as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1 or equal to 1, the series diverges.

How is the root test different from other convergence tests?

The root test is different from other convergence tests because it only requires taking the nth root of the series, rather than comparing it to another known series or using other mathematical techniques. It is also a more general test, as it can be applied to both series with positive and negative terms, and it can also be used for series with complex terms.

When should the root test be used to test for convergence?

The root test should be used when other convergence tests, such as the ratio test, are inconclusive or difficult to apply. It is also useful for series with terms that involve factorials or exponential functions, as it simplifies the calculation process.

Can the root test be used to prove absolute convergence?

Yes, the root test can be used to prove absolute convergence, as it involves taking the absolute value of each term in the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges absolutely, which means that the series of absolute values also converges.

What is the relationship between the root test and the radius of convergence?

The root test is closely related to the radius of convergence of a power series. If the root test indicates that the series converges, then the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of the limit found in the test. If the root test indicates that the series diverges, then the radius of convergence is equal to zero.