Find term of a rational partial (reduced) fraction

CIn summary, the coefficient on the x^2 term in the given integral is -1/12. This can be obtained by using integration by parts and then dividing the resulting polynomial by the denominator to get a reduced fraction. The resulting reduced fraction will have a log term, from which the coefficient on the x^2 term can be obtained.
sotownsend

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient on the x^2 term in ∫[(x+9)/3] * [log(x+1)] * dx

Answer: -1/12

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

∫dv * u = u * v - ∫du * v

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I integrated by parts to get
-------------------------

∫[(x+9)/3] * [log(x+1)] * dx] = (x^2/9)*log(x+1) - ∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)]

-------------------------

I think the term the problem wants something with the ∫[(s^2... term, but I don't know how to get the coefficient from it.

The problem suggests that ∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)] is "now a rational function problem: divide to get a polynomial part and a reduced fraction. The reduced fraction gives a log term."

I very much appreciate any help! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
sotownsend said:
I think the term the problem wants something with the ∫[(s^2... term, but I don't know how to get the coefficient from it.

Forget how to divide a polynomial into a polynomial? I'll have to say it was a topic in elementary algebra that I did paid much attention to either. [itex] 6s + 6 [/itex] goes into [itex] s^2 + 18s [/itex] with quotient [itex] \frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6} [/itex] and remainder [itex] -17 [/itex].

So [tex] \frac{s^2 + 18s}{6s + 6} = \frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6} - \frac{17}{6s + 6} [/tex]

Answer:

The question wanted the integration of the final term of the derivation of the chain rule.

So...

∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)] =

∫(s^2 / (6s + 6) + ∫(18s / (6s + 6)

The integral of these two terms yields a s^2 term with -1/12 as the coefficient. (Takes a lot of trig transforms / log transforms however)

[tex] -\int (\frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6} - \frac{17}{6s + 6}) ds

= \frac{-1}{12}s^2 - \frac{17}{6}s + \frac{17}{6} \log(6x + 6) [/tex]

1. What is a rational partial (reduced) fraction?

A rational partial (reduced) fraction is a fraction in which the numerator and denominator are both polynomials and the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. This type of fraction is also known as a proper fraction.

2. How do you find the term of a rational partial (reduced) fraction?

To find the term of a rational partial (reduced) fraction, divide the numerator by the denominator and simplify the resulting expression. The resulting expression will be the term of the fraction.

3. What is the difference between a rational partial fraction and a regular fraction?

The main difference between a rational partial fraction and a regular fraction is that a regular fraction has a numerical value, while a rational partial fraction has variables in both the numerator and denominator. Rational partial fractions are used to simplify complex fractions and solve equations with multiple variables.

4. Why is it important to reduce a rational partial fraction?

Reducing a rational partial fraction simplifies the expression and makes it easier to work with. It also helps to identify the roots and factors of the expression, which can be useful in solving equations and graphing functions.

5. Can you give an example of finding the term of a rational partial (reduced) fraction?

Sure, let's say we have the fraction 2x^2 / (x^3 + 3x^2 + 2x). To find the term, we divide 2x^2 by x^3 and get 2 / x. We then simplify the denominator by factoring it into (x+1)(x+2). The term of the rational partial fraction is then 2 / (x+1)(x+2).