Determine Convergence or Divergence

In summary, convergence refers to a sequence or series of numbers that approaches a specific limit, while divergence refers to a sequence or series of numbers that grows towards infinity. Various tests, such as the ratio test and the root test, can be used to determine convergence or divergence. Determining convergence or divergence is important in mathematics and science to understand the behavior of a sequence or series and validate mathematical models. If a series is neither convergent nor divergent, it is considered indeterminate and further analysis is needed. A series cannot converge and diverge at the same time, but different parts of the series can exhibit different behaviors.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

Determine if the series the summation form n=2 to infinity of n/((n2+1)ln(n2+1)) is convergent or divergent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the integral test and got positive infinity, so I it diverges. But I want to know if I'm right. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. But you might want to say a few words about why you think the series is valid to treat with the integral test.

Last edited:

What is the difference between convergence and divergence?

Convergence refers to a sequence or series of numbers that approaches a specific limit or value as the number of terms increases. Divergence, on the other hand, refers to a sequence or series of numbers that does not approach a specific limit and instead grows towards infinity.

How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are various tests that can be used to determine convergence or divergence, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in a series and determining if they approach a limit, grow towards infinity, or alternate between positive and negative values.

What is the importance of determining convergence or divergence?

Determining convergence or divergence is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence or series of numbers. It also helps us to determine the accuracy and validity of mathematical models and predictions.

What happens if a series is neither convergent nor divergent?

If a series is neither convergent nor divergent, it is said to be indeterminate. This means that further analysis and tests are needed to determine the behavior of the series. In some cases, a series may oscillate between converging and diverging, making it difficult to determine its behavior.

Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can either converge or diverge, but not both simultaneously. It is possible for different parts of a series to converge or diverge, but the overall behavior must be either convergent or divergent.