Matrix Subspaces: Does Set W = {X: AX=2X} Form a Subspace of M(2,1)?

In summary, the problem is asking to determine whether the set W, which is defined as the set of all solutions of AX=2X, is a subspace of M(2,1). To prove this, we need to show that W is non-empty, closed under addition, and closed under scalar multiplication. Since the zero matrix times any 2x2 matrix will be all 0's, it is equal to 2x the zero matrix, thus proving that W is non-empty.
a.merchant

Homework Statement

Let A be a fixed 2x2 matrix. Assuming that the set:
W={X:AX=2X}
has infinitly many solutions, determine whether it is a subspace of M(2,1)

Homework Equations

To determine whether a set is a subspace i need to prove that there is a zero vector, that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

If A is 2x2 then AX can't be a subspace of a 2x1 space can it? Unless X is 2x1 but without knowing what X is how to I begin to prove that it is a subspace? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The wording of the problem is a bit confusing. I think you mean that W is the set of all 2 by 1 matrices (2 component column vectors), X, such that AX= 2X has infinitely many solutions. But since A is fixed, you are really just defining W as the set of all solutions of AX= 2X and asking when that has infinitely many solutions- that depends on A, not X.

As for your question about AX being in M(2,1), you are misreading the question. It does not say AX is in M(2,1), it is asking about the set of all X in M(2,1) such that AX= 2X.

I think what you are really asking is this: suppose A is such that AX= 2X has infinitely many solutions. Show that W, the set of all such solutions, is a subspace of M(2,1).

To do that, show the standard 3 things:
1) The set is non-empty. (Typically, show that the 0 matrix is in the set.)
2) The set is closed under addition: If AX= 2X and AY= 2Y then A(X+ Y)= 2(X+ Y).
3) The set is closed under scalar multiplication: If AX= 2X and k is any scalar, then A(kX)= 2(KX).

So i could just state that:

0 E W as the zero matrix times any 2x2 matrix will be all 0's, so it is equal to 2x the zero matrix (not in so many words, I am just not sure how to write matrices in this forum)

for the zero part?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the same properties as the vector space. This means that it must contain the zero vector, be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and must be non-empty.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three properties of a subspace: containing the zero vector, being closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and being non-empty. If it satisfies all three, then it is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace contain only one vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain only one vector. As long as it satisfies the three properties of a subspace, it can be considered a subspace. However, it is more common for subspaces to contain multiple vectors.

4. How can subspaces be used in matrix operations?

Subspaces can be used in matrix operations to find solutions to systems of linear equations. By finding the basis for a subspace, we can determine the dimension of the subspace and use it to solve for unknown variables in a system of equations.

5. Are all vector spaces subspaces?

No, not all vector spaces are subspaces. A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the same properties as the vector space. However, a vector space can have additional properties that are not satisfied by subspaces, such as a specific set of operations or a specific dimension.