How Can Headphones Act as Antennas

In summary, the radio feature of Apple's latest iPods uses the headphone wires as an antenna, which is possible because the wires are not grounded and can receive radio signals. The higher frequency of these signals means they cannot be heard and do not interfere with audio signals traveling within the wires. The audio signals in the iPod and headphone wires are electrical, not in-air sound waves.
peter.ell
If you've used Apple's latest iPods, you know that they feature a built-in radio that uses the headphones themselves as an antenna. But how is this possible?

I really have two questions about this:

1.) Aren't the headphone wires shielded and insulated so that they should not be able to pick up radio waves?

2.) If the insulation has little affect, then this means that radio waves passing through the headphone wires induce currents in the wires that match the radio waves, right? But then this must happen all the time, not just when I select the radio app on my iPod, right? So then how can radio waves all around us be constantly inducing currents in headphone wires without those currents interfering or distorting the audio signals already traveling within them?

Thank you so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
peter.ell said:
If you've used Apple's latest iPods, you know that they feature a built-in radio that uses the headphones themselves as an antenna. But how is this possible?

I really have two questions about this:

1.) Aren't the headphone wires shielded and insulated so that they should not be able to pick up radio waves?

2.) If the insulation has little affect, then this means that radio waves passing through the headphone wires induce currents in the wires that match the radio waves, right? But then this must happen all the time, not just when I select the radio app on my iPod, right? So then how can radio waves all around us be constantly inducing currents in headphone wires without those currents interfering or distorting the audio signals already traveling within them?

Thank you so much!

1. I expect that the shield is used as the antenna. The shield is not connected to ground, therefore it can receive radio signals.

2. The frequency of the RF signals are much higher than the audio range so we can't hear them.

Besides, the headphones would not operate at those frequencies either.

The person in question might not be around, but still.
larny said:
2. The frequency of the RF signals are much higher than the audio range so we can't hear them.

RF signals are EM waves, not longitudinal waves like sound!

thebiggerbang said:
RF signals are EM waves, not longitudinal waves like sound!

He was referring to the frequency difference between RF and audio, not the modality of the wave propagation.

EDIT -- Also, the audio signals in the iPod and in the headphone wires are indeed electrical signals, not in-air sound waves.

1. How do headphones act as antennas?

Headphones act as antennas because they contain a long, coiled wire that is designed to pick up electromagnetic signals. This wire is connected to the speaker, but it also has the ability to pick up radio waves and other signals when used as an antenna.

2. Can any type of headphones be used as an antenna?

No, not all headphones can be used as antennas. Only headphones with long, coiled wires that are not shielded can act as antennas. Common types of headphones that can act as antennas include over-ear headphones, earbuds with long wires, and traditional walkman-style headphones.

3. How can headphones act as antennas for both receiving and transmitting signals?

Headphones can act as antennas for both receiving and transmitting signals because they can both detect and produce electromagnetic waves. When used as an antenna, the long wire in the headphones picks up radio waves and other signals. When used as a microphone, the vibrations from sound waves travel through the wire and are converted into electrical signals.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using headphones as antennas?

One disadvantage of using headphones as antennas is that they may not be as efficient as traditional antennas. Headphones are not specifically designed to be antennas, so they may not be able to pick up signals as well as a dedicated antenna. Additionally, the wire in the headphones may not be long enough or positioned correctly to pick up certain frequencies.

5. Can using headphones as antennas cause interference with other electronic devices?

Yes, using headphones as antennas can potentially cause interference with other electronic devices. This is because the long wire in the headphones can pick up a wide range of frequencies, including those used by other devices. This can result in static or distorted signals when listening to music or using the headphones as a microphone.