CFL Health Issues: Should You Replace Incandescent?

In summary, CFLs are energy-efficient light bulbs that use about 75% less energy and last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. While there have been concerns about CFLs containing small amounts of mercury and emitting UV radiation, these risks are minimal and can be mitigated by proper handling and disposal. Some people may experience discomfort from the flickering of CFLs, but newer models have improved flicker rates. CFLs can be safely used in most fixtures and lamps, but caution should be taken with fully enclosed fixtures and dimmer switches.
I_am_learning
There was an article in my local newspaper about CFL health issues so I googled for its international source.
I came up with this Edit: innapropriate lisource deleted
Should I replace back my house's CFL with incandescent?

Physics news on Phys.org

What are CFLs and why are they being encouraged as a replacement for incandescent bulbs?

CFL stands for compact fluorescent lamp, which is a type of energy-efficient light bulb. They are being encouraged as a replacement for incandescent bulbs because they use about 75% less energy and last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.

Are there any health concerns associated with CFLs?

There have been concerns about CFLs containing small amounts of mercury, a toxic substance. However, the amount of mercury in CFLs is very small and is not a significant health risk when handled and disposed of properly.

Do CFLs emit harmful UV radiation?

CFLs do emit a small amount of UV radiation, but it is within safe levels and is not a significant health concern. Additionally, most CFLs have a coating on the glass that reduces the amount of UV radiation that is released.

Do CFLs cause headaches or eye strain?

Some people may experience headaches or eye strain when exposed to the flickering of CFLs. This can be due to a sensitivity to the frequency of the light, known as the “flicker rate”. However, newer CFLs have an improved flicker rate and most people do not experience any discomfort.

Can CFLs be safely used in all fixtures and lamps?

CFLs can be safely used in most fixtures and lamps, but there are some exceptions. They should not be used in fully enclosed fixtures, as this can cause overheating and shorten the lifespan of the bulb. Additionally, CFLs are not recommended for use with dimmer switches, as this can also cause overheating and potentially be a fire hazard.