Power transferred to resistance

In summary, the problem involves speaker resistance of 10.4 Ohm, an additional resistance of 8.20 Ohm, and a maximum voltage of 15.0 V from an AC source. The additional resistance acts as a voltage divider, reducing the current through the circuit. To find the average power transferred to the speaker, you will need to use the RMS values for voltage and current.
Tosh5457

Homework Statement

Speaker Resistance = 10.4 Ohm
R = 8.20 Ohm
Maximum voltage of AC source = 15.0 V

What's the average power transferred to the speaker?

Homework Equations

P = [itex]I^2R[/itex]
Imax = [itex]I/2^0.5[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I could the problem if there was only the speaker resistance. I don't understand how the other resistance comes into play or what it does in the circuit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tosh5457! :smile:
Tosh5457 said:
I could the problem if there was only the speaker resistance. I don't understand how the other resistance comes into play or what it does in the circuit.

The extra resistance reduces the current, I. :wink:

The other resistance, in series with the speaker resistance, form a voltage divider. Only a fraction of the supply voltage will appear across the speaker resistance.

You can determine the current through the series connected resistors, then using that current find the voltage developed across the speaker.

Keep in mind that you've been given the maximum voltage of the AC source. To find the average power you'll want the RMS values for voltage and current delivered to the speaker.

1. What is power transferred to resistance?

Power transferred to resistance is the amount of energy that is converted into heat when an electric current flows through a resistance. It is also known as Joule heating.

2. How is power transferred to resistance calculated?

The formula for calculating power transferred to resistance is P = I^2 * R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. What factors affect power transferred to resistance?

The main factors that affect power transferred to resistance include the amount of current flowing through the resistance, the resistance value, and the duration of the current flow. Temperature and material properties also play a role.

4. What are some examples of power transferred to resistance in everyday life?

Some examples of power transferred to resistance in everyday life include the heating element in a toaster, the heating coil in an electric stove, and the filament in an incandescent light bulb. These devices use electrical energy to generate heat through resistance.

5. How is power transferred to resistance used in engineering and technology?

In engineering and technology, power transferred to resistance is used in a wide range of applications, from heating elements in appliances to resistors in electronic circuits. It is also used in the design of electrical systems and devices to control and manage the flow of electric current and prevent damage due to excessive heat generation.