Gravitational Constant Problem in Planetary Java Model.

In summary, the value of G is 6.67384 * 10^-11 Newtons and the formula for the gravitational field is G * ((500*20)/(150^2))
eArtist
Hi there

I am currently trying to implement Newtons law of gravitation into a planetary model.

I have 2 objects with mass of 500 and 20. The distance between them is 150.
From what I gather from wikipedia I could use the following formula:

GravityField = G * ((500*20)/(150^2))
Where G is the gravitational constant.

What is the value of G? I could not figure it out from wiki...
And is the formula correct?

- eArtist

Technology news on Phys.org
eArtist said:
GravityField = G * ((500*20)/(150^2))
False! That is formula for gravitational force, not field.
Where G is the gravitational constant.
What is the value of G? I could not figure it out from wiki...
Come on! Could it be more obvious?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

I am not as into physics as you it seems. Can you please elaborate?
I need to set a value to G.

eArtist said:
I am not as into physics as you it seems. Can you please elaborate?
I need to set a value to G.
Just click the link to wiki. You need not to be a physicist to click and read it. It is written there in a VERY BIG characters.

I am a bit dissapointed at your hostile attitude. I am sorry if I offended you in any way.

Yes I have studied it for a while, but I don't understand.

6.67384 * 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2 = ??

You finally found the value you looked for.
What is to be understood in it? You got it expressed using several units of measure, chose whichever fits to your needs or convert it to yet other ones. If you consequently use SI system the first units are easiest to follow.

What I don`t understand is:
what value is s?
what value is m?
what value is kg?

6.67384 * 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2 = ??

They are the units. Your two objects have mass 200 and 50, hopefully that is kilograms, and if the distance of 150 is in metres, then your units are correct, and you can go ahead and use the number 6.67*10^(-11) for G (which will give you a force in Newtons). The units are an essential part of any physically meaningful equation.

Notice that it's a pretty small number, the mutual force between the masses will be pretty small unless you're dealing with planets or something!

You really do not know what second (s), meter (m), and kilogram (kg) are?

Oh i see!
Thank you very much for the clarification :smile:

xts said:
You really do not know what second (s), meter (m), and kilogram (kg) are?

We all were confused at some point in our lives, and we probably still all would be without patient teachers...

1. What is the "Gravitational Constant Problem" in the Planetary Java Model?

The "Gravitational Constant Problem" refers to the difficulty in accurately determining the value of the gravitational constant, G, in the Planetary Java Model. This value is essential for calculating the force of gravity between objects in the model, and small variations in its value can have a significant impact on the accuracy of the model's predictions.

2. How is the gravitational constant, G, typically calculated in the Planetary Java Model?

In the Planetary Java Model, G is typically calculated using the equation G = (4π²r³)/(T²m), where r is the distance between two objects, T is the orbital period, and m is the combined mass of the two objects. This equation is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation.

3. Why is the accurate determination of G important in the Planetary Java Model?

Accurately determining G is crucial in the Planetary Java Model because it directly affects the accuracy of the model's predictions. Small variations in G can lead to significant errors in calculating the force of gravity between objects, which can in turn impact the accuracy of orbital trajectories and other planetary dynamics.

4. What are some challenges in determining the value of G in the Planetary Java Model?

One of the main challenges in determining the value of G in the Planetary Java Model is the lack of precise measurements of planetary masses and orbital periods. In addition, there may be other factors at play in the model, such as the presence of other objects or external forces, that can impact the accuracy of G.

5. How do scientists address the Gravitational Constant Problem in the Planetary Java Model?

Scientists address the Gravitational Constant Problem in the Planetary Java Model by using multiple data points and refining their calculations over time. They also compare their results with other models and real-world observations to improve the accuracy of G. Additionally, advancements in technology and techniques for measuring planetary masses and orbital periods can help reduce uncertainties in the model.