Commute an operator with a constant

In summary, the commutator of an operator A that multiplies a vector by its norm with a constant b is (b^2-1) times the vector multiplied by the norm. This may not equal to zero, as A is non-linear and does not necessarily satisfy the commutator relation.
widderjoos

Homework Statement

Suppose we had an operator A that multiplied a vector by it's norm:
[itex]A \mid \psi \rangle = \langle \psi \mid \psi \rangle \mid \psi \rangle[/itex]
I wanted to know what it's commutator with a constant would be.

Homework Equations

[itex]\left[A,B\right] = AB - BA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose b is a real number greater than 1, then
[itex]\left[A,b\right] \mid \psi \rangle =(Ab-bA)\mid \psi \rangle [/itex]
[itex]=A (b\mid \psi \rangle ) - b (A \mid \psi \rangle ) = (b^2 - b)\langle \psi \mid \psi \rangle \mid \psi \rangle[/itex]

I'm think the second equality is wrong since I read that the commutator of an operator with a constant should be 0 and the operator A looks nonlinear. But what should be done instead? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
widderjoos said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we had an operator A that multiplied a vector by it's norm:
[itex]A \mid \psi \rangle = \langle \psi \mid \psi \rangle \mid \psi \rangle[/itex]
I wanted to know what it's commutator with a constant would be.

Homework Equations

[itex]\left[A,B\right] = AB - BA[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose b is a real number greater than 1, then
[itex]\left[A,b\right] \mid \psi \rangle =(Ab-bA)\mid \psi \rangle [/itex]
[itex]=A (b\mid \psi \rangle ) - b (A \mid \psi \rangle ) = (b^2 - b)\langle \psi \mid \psi \rangle \mid \psi \rangle[/itex]

I'm think the second equality is wrong since I read that the commutator of an operator with a constant should be 0 and the operator A looks nonlinear. But what should be done instead? Thanks

Just looking quickly at this, shouldn't you have got

[itex]\left( b^2-1 \right) \langle \psi | \psi \rangle \left( b | \psi \rangle \right)[/itex]?

latentcorpse said:
Just looking quickly at this, shouldn't you have got

[itex]\left( b^2-1 \right) \langle \psi | \psi \rangle \left( b | \psi \rangle \right)[/itex]?

oh you're right, but it still doesn't equal 0 though unless I'm missing something again

How did you get the b^2 ? It shouldn't be there.

widderjoos said:
oh you're right, but it still doesn't equal 0 though unless I'm missing something again

Why should it equal to zero? A is non-linear, so there is no guarantee that [itex]A (b|\psi\rangle) = b A |\psi\rangle[/itex].

1. What does it mean to "commute an operator with a constant"?

When we talk about commuting an operator with a constant, we are referring to the process of rearranging the order in which a constant and an operator act on a function or equation. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics, and is often used to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. Why is commuting an operator with a constant important?

Commuting an operator with a constant is important because it allows us to manipulate equations and functions in a way that makes them easier to solve or understand. It also helps us to identify patterns and relationships between different variables and operators.

3. Can any operator be commuted with any constant?

No, not all operators can be commuted with any constant. The commutativity of an operator with a constant depends on the properties of the operator and the constant. For example, the commutative property does not hold for non-commutative operators such as the cross product in vector calculus.

4. How does commuting an operator with a constant affect the outcome of an equation or function?

The outcome of an equation or function can be affected in various ways by commuting an operator with a constant. In some cases, it may lead to a simpler form of the equation or function. In other cases, it may reveal hidden relationships or symmetries that were not apparent before.

5. Are there any specific rules or formulas for commuting an operator with a constant?

Yes, there are certain rules and formulas that can be used to commute an operator with a constant, depending on the properties of the operator and the constant. For example, the commutative property states that the order of multiplication between two constants can be interchanged without changing the outcome. Additionally, there are specific commutation rules for different types of operators, such as differentiation and integration.